Pentax K10D Review Posted at Camera Labs

wigwam jones

Ok, I have and am in love with the K10D, but all the article does is say that Nikon's D80 is SOOO much better. Before I even knew who Pentax was, I had my heart set on the D80. Problem was--money! If I want VR lenses, which was my reason to change DSLR's, then to get three lenses which is what I have right now, I would be spending probably twice as much money. Yes, I would probably have a better camera, but for those of us who simply can't afford it, I don't think the comparison is a far one.

actually, I find any review that goes against the grain too much in any direction to be questioned.

The best review I saw was a Czech review. Very fair, balanced. The K10D is a solid camera. Best camera ever made? Not at all. Best camera under $1000 ever made? Thus far yes.

Do I think future firmware and eventually new hardware (K5D or K1D) will be an improvment? Yes. Am I unhappy with my purchase? Nope.

Just to be fair, I'm often critical of Pentax. But I will defend/promote the good things. I like to think I am balanced in that respect. For the money there is not a better camera on the market at this time. The K10D is IMO better then the D80 having had a chance to shoot with both. The D80 is lower noise but otherwise the K10D beats it in EVERY catagory (and AF isn't fair to compare till the SDM lenses are mounted on the K10D).

Lets be honest, Pentax has to fight for a fair review. Most reviewers and magazines are preferential to there biggest sponsors in add revenue, Nikon and Canon. Peeing either off would be bad. Don't believe me, look at almost any photo magazine and see how many pages Nikon and Canon have. Then look at Pentax and Olympus. Combined they have less then EITHER (not both) nikon or canon.

It is about time someone pushed punters to go and buy up those spare d80's.

I sure am glad I'm not looking for help from these camera reviews to assist my decision to buy a particular camera.

Essentially all the cameras they review are really good but with some reservations that if you spend a bit more money you can get something a bit better... if you need it... or think you will need it... or dream that one day you would like to need it... etc etc.

You're right Justin you're not going to bite the hand that feeds you.

I do feel a little sorry for my pals who both shoot Nikon and the amount they have to pay for each VR lens.

We are thinking of doing our own Agence Maverick comparison between the K10 and D80.

The cameras may not fair well. The tests are:

1. The hammering the nail into the wood test - ( you really need a strong mag alloy body for this - either canon 1v of russian Fed 4 - both film)

2. The 5 metre drop onto concrete test.

This will then be followed by several hours taking pictures of lens test cards.

(We offer to do these test for only a small charity donation for any DSLR's that manufacturers wish to supply us with)

If we ever finish this test to our satisfaction, we shall be posting images so that edge contrast and image saturation can be discussed here on photonet. Mind you we might not bother and we shall go and take some photos instead... or post more silly comments on photonet just to brighten up someones day :-)

I like those test.

For all but pros shooting on assignment or perhaps on high altitude/arctic self supported expeditions I never understood why a camera had to be durable enough to hammer nails. That said, even cameras like the Program Plus, which aren't known to be nail hammerable, stand up pretty darn well to the average beating Joe Bloe can put to it. I abuse (in a nice way) my program plus with it working fine. NO CLA's or repairs, just keeps ticking. I've yet to get the courage to do the same to my digital bodies, but I'm sure they won't disintegrate from a few bumps here and there.

There is no way a Nikon D80 is a better camera than a Pentax K10D. It is in a lower category. Besides not having the SR, it does not have the professional design control layout and extra pro build quality with the weather sealing. It also does NOT have a mirror lockup feature in its shooting menu, even though its specs say it does. It cannot meter with older manual lenses.

The K10D's actual closest Nikon rival is the D200.

Exactly mike.

The K10D gets grouped with the Rebel and D80 because of it's price range.

But it's competition is the 30D and the D200. Considering it's $500 less then both those cameras and really only lacks the faster frame rate it's certainly better then some would have us think.

To be fair, the K10D should be compared to those cameras (D200 and 30D) which is beats the 30D far and away, and other then frame rate is highly comparible to the D200 for much less money.

And as you noted, some essentials are on the K10D that make it superior, such as MLU, weather sealing, and antishake that makes a 70-300 4-5.6 that you can pick up for $100 used the same as a 70-300 4-5.6 $500 lens from Canon.

Bottom line, priced with the D80's and spec'd with the D200's. This is something the camera industry and reviewers clearly weren't ready for as much of there classing is based on price of the camera.

Looking clsely at the review it seems they are more testing lens optics rather than cameras. Both cameras actually have the same ccd chip so the images shown will be reflecting factory software presets and lens design etc. Not the actual cameras' functionality.

However a Nikon is a Nikon, and the bit of red in the hand grip really makes me feel tough and a happening kinda photographer. AND I get to prance around with Nikon strapped around my neck, which everyone knows makes me a real photographer.

BUT if I use a Pentax. What does that say?

No money? Nerd?

Or really someone who thinks for himself and is happy with some great gear at a good price and can afford a few lenses to go with his camera.

As yet I do not have a Nikon, but perhaps I should get one for the next time I go to a camera club. (Whilst secretly I shall continue to take my all my photos with a Pentax) (Note however to impress the ladies you need an Olympus Mu 725 - its a bit like wearing a pink shirt - the ladies dig it, guys don't.)