Pentax K1000 Vs Pentax Mx

joce_tam

Pentax K1000 is a basic no frills "student" camera that enjoys a bit of a cult following. IMO it is overrated - but I like mine. There are new and old types - the older ones are more solid and the newer ones plastic?

The MX is a superior camera - but it takes the same K-mount lenses. It has DOF preview, self timer etc.

Either will do for a student.

Both are "manual" cameras - the MX has the stop/speed info in the viewfinder - you set the one and adjust the other to get the right exposure. The K1000 uses a needle/ring. If I were to chose between them - at the same price I would take the MX. BTW the MX also takes a winder, the K1000 not.

Since there are no other responses I'll give it a whirl. Both have very good if not excellent reputations. They both have the same lens mount (K/bayonet mount) so they take the same lenses. The K1000 is the quintessential "Photography 101" student camera. It's big and heavy. The MX is much more diminutive, unobtrusive, and portable. The MX was marketed as a professional camera, in fact, in the hierarchy of manual focus Pentax K-mount cameras it's second only to the LX. Thus the MX is slightly more expensive than the K1000, especially if you buy the 'professional' black body (instead of the more commonplace 'consumer' chrome body). You should not have any problems finding either the K or the MX in the used marketplace (as both of these cameras are long-discontinued), and, you cannot go wrong with either one. It basically comes down to personal taste/preference, and how much money you are willing to spend.

You have asked a similar question in so many places I don't know where to write a response, but since this is the most complete version of the question I will give my 2 cents here.

I will leave the discussion of the merits of the K1000 and MX to others, since I don't use them. I wanted to give you some alternatives. Both of these cameras are older -- even though the K1000 had quite a long run. However, if you are not sure about purchasing a used camera, there are at least two choices for you to look into.

I don't know if you want the Pentax mount specifically, but let's say you do. Look at the Vivitar V3800/V4000. They are the same camera -- made by Cosina -- and they are new and cheap and come with a warranty. They are also mechanical, like the old Pentax cameras. They will take the Pentax K mount lenses. Some here will warn you to stay away from them possibly because Vivitar is not a great name in photography. However, these cameras are just K mount versions of the Cosina family of cameras. You can buy the same camera in the FM-10 name and a Nikon mount, or the OM-2000 name and an Olympus mount. Now that Cosina has adapted the camera to the rangefinder style it is being sold for much more money to those willing to pay. Anyone who talks about the greatness of their Voigtlander Bessa R/R2, or the upcoming Rollei 35, is really praising the same camera. The shutter and the film advance and the buttons and knobs are all basically the same. Break the film speed knob on your Bessa R? Take one from the Nikon FM-10 and it will fit and look the same. That's because they are the same. The Vivitar name is just that, a name painted on a camera that has nothing to do with Vivitar -- except that it sells for less! It might be a better choice than an old Pentax.

Let's say you want to stay with the Pentax name. Consider the ZX-M (MZ-M outside the US). It is new and can use both the old K mount lenses and the new F* lenses. It is manual focus, but everything on it is electronic. It will give you aperture priority mode and shutter priority mode, in addition to the full manual. It is also very inexpensive.

Both of these choices, much like the original K1000 and MX, are good cameras because they let the photographer make the decisions. Since you are a beginner, remember to keep practicing and learning about photography. Don't get discouraged and blame "that old camera." You need to learn more, not replace the camera.

Good luck.

The Pentax MX is better in EVERY WAY than the K-1000. It is better constructed, far lighter, smaller, and has several great added features, like a Depth of Field Preview, Self Timer, Film Reminder back, interchangeable screens, etc. It is a FAR better choice, if they are anywhere close to the same price. When new, the MX cost twice as much as the K-1000. The K-1000 has become over-valued in the used market, but there's NO WAY I'd choose it over the MX.

Other fine non-Pentax manual camera choices that are better than the K-1000 include the Minolta SRT series, the The Olympus OM-1n, and the Nikon FM.

There was a similar thread a couple days ago as I recall.

The K1000's big selling point was that it was a cheap dependable camera that could use the full line of Pentax lenses. I paid $129 for mine about 10 years ago, and I have seen used ones selling for more than that, which is silly. It is a reasonably dependable camera, but if anything goes out on it, it's not worthwhile to repair. The ones out there are getting older all the time. The main reason to use Pentax as opposed to Nikon or Canon is that they were somewhat cheaper. If you are buying a "first" SLR, I'd recommend to buy a new camera rather than fooling with 10-year old (or more) used ones.

By the way, mine is the "newer" style of K1000 with the plastic base, made in Hong Kong. It hasn't given me a bit of trouble, and seems sturdy enough. Given that the older style are older, I don't know that there is really a preference for one over the other.

• 4 years later...

My mother has an Mx she got used for a song. It works great at 1/100 sec and no other speed, though her last roll suggests it actually uses a random number generator in setting the shutter speed. If one accepts electronic guts, go digital! Otherwise, mechanical rules!

I have a K1000 that I've had for 25 years which I love and which I have fed countless rolls of film. However I sent it off two years ago for a full overhaul 'cause the meter was dead. Cost about $100. Now the film advance is acting up (winds hard, bad noises, unintentional semi-double exposures), and once the mirror hung up on me. No matter how good it is & how well it was overhauled it still is 25 years old!

I'm leaning towards the advice to consider the new Vivitar though I've never held one in my hands. I've never bought from B&H but I see Adorama has the camera also at about $140 and I have had good luck with them.

As far as "beginner" questions, I began when there was no such thing as an automatic camera. I used the guide in the film box for awhile until I finally got a hand-held light meter. No problema.

In my opinion automatic is HARDER than manual 'cause with manual, you KNOW what you are setting. With automatic, who could guess what creative ideas the camera might come up with?