Pentax K-x flash question

User_502260

<p>I have a Pentax K-x and generally like it. The built-in flash is not really good for any long distance (past about 10 feet) especially in a large and dimly lit room. I looked at some possibilities for an external flash and decided on a Promaster 7200EDF. My local camera store was able to find one at a reasonable price. I realize that other flash units have more features. At this point I just need more power/distance. The model is discontinued and finding another one may or may not be possible. The one I tried today would not work properly on the camera. The pre-flash for red-eye reduction fired but then the main flash fired only at full power. When the flash is attached to the camera the red Flash On light is on but I can't figure out how to get the P-TTL light to come on. Will this flash simply not work with the K-x or is there something I don't know about the camera settings? </p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>Warning:</strong> The 7500EDF flash is the <em>only</em> model that works with the Pentax K-7, K-x, or K-r camera bodies. You will need at least firmware release V3-310, which should be the default in all currently-shipping units. Without this update, it will just fire at full power in all conditions. If you have an earlier version, the update can be performed (for free) by Promaster Service — contact them for details.<br>

<a href="http://pttl.mattdm.org/">Link</a></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Maybe you can find some clues there.</p>

• 2 weeks later...