Pentax K-1 now on Imaging Resource comparometer test shots.

michael_kuhne

<p>I have been guessing that since the resolution of 24 MP for APS-C and of 36 MP for FF are about equal, performance would be about equal as well. This might include low noise performance, 36 MP FF being of similar pixel density to 24 MP APS-C.</p>

<p>Upon viewing these comparisons between the K-1 and K-3 however, it has been quite otherwise. The first thing I noticed in viewing the still-life scene of numerous articles is the K-1's color accuracy. Gone is the slight magenta color cast of most Pentax DSLRs. I selected 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, and finally 12800 ISO to compare between the K-1 and K-3. Once selected, you have to click again on the image to get the blowup. At ISO 400 and 800 I could see virtually no difference in noise in shadows, or in resolution. At ISO 1600, I could see a little noise show up with the K-3 but still very good. The K-1 remained unaffected. At ISO 3200, although still very usable, the K-3 exhibited noticeable noise in some shadow areas, and some detail was lost from noise suppression (the letters at the bottom of the Samuel Smith beer bottle harder to read) whereas the K-1 remained unaffected. At ISO 6400, the adverse effects of noise and noise suppression were very obvious from the K-3, while the K-1 being still virtually unaffected! At ISO 12800, image detail is lost, edges begin to dissolve, and noise is rampant with the K-3, while the K-1's image holds together just fine with only very moderate noise being noticeable- still a very usable image!</p>

<p>These are JPEG images at default settings. RAW with expert processing could produce better results- for both cameras. But this test indicates the differences under the same conditions. I am impressed!</p>

<p>Pentax claims to have done a lot of work on the circuit board holding the sensor to reduce noise in readout -- it appears to have paid off.<br>

I have taken a couple of shots with my K-1 at ISO 12800, and was startled by the low noise and good sharpness. Just looked like film in terms of noise...</p>

<p>DP review basically wrote that the K-1 was the best IQ of a full frame camera they had seen, and that was before Pixel Shift.</p>

<p>Pentax definitely has hit a home run in terms of IQ. </p>

<p>I'm definitely considering the K-1 over the K-3II or K-3II successor. Although, I am very happy with my K-5IIs upgrade and in no rush to upgrade in the near future. Had the K-1 been out a few months earlier, in my upgrade window, I'd probably have gotten it. </p>