Pentax 67 lenses

chris_buchanan

I recently obtained a 135mm and 45mm Pentax lens.

1. The 135mm is used and I notice it renders color differently then my 105mm lens when shooting identical scenes. Both are the older style, could one be coated differently? I use transparency film and viewed the exposures side by side on a light box, the color difference is very obvious. Blues are bluer, haze is less with the 135 lens. No filters etc, used

<p>

2. The 45mm lens is consistently underexposing my transparencies. (I would say at least 2 stops) I thought that there must be a meter and or coupling problem going on, but that appears normal. The 43mm is the new style. Any thoughts as to why. I use only the meter in the P67.

My 45mm used to do the same thing (two stops under)untill I caught on. The Pentax metering system is center weighted and slightly above center. You will need to point the lens down about 20 degrees to keep from reading the sky. I guess modern matrix metering has caused us all to forget how to meter with wide angle lenses!!!!!!!!! I screwed up three rolls of fantastic pictures. Also, the needle is very sensitive and it doesn't take much to be off one stop. Try this and let me know if it makes a difference with your camera.

Steve

Steve,

<p>

Are you sure about the Pentax 67 metering finder being centre

weighted? The instructions on mine do not mention it and nor does

the performance, even with the 45mm lens. Of course you have

to be careful with sky, but that is the same for all averaging

meters.

<p>

Regards.......Tony Cunningham

Chris: With regards to your first question, I too have noticed a color difference but it was between the 300mm and my other lenses(45, 75, 105 and 200mm). What I've noticed is a loss in subtle pastels when looking through the finder with the 300. In my situation I feel this is due to a lack of SMC on all lens susfaces. Check to see if you can see the difference in the finder. This way you can eliminate the possibility of the cause being a slight difference in exposure between the two lenses. Sometimes, two lenses at the same speed and f stop will be slightly different in exposure. Any time you have a big difference in the number of reflection surfaces, there is always a possibility of differential light transmission. The 135 has six of these surfaces while the 105 has ten.

Steve R.