Pentax 645NII as 67 Backup

michael_reichmann1

Michael, great review. I have a 645N and really think it is a versatile camera.

In your review, I noticed that you said the 645NII viewfinder shows 95%. Could you please double check this spec in your manual, because my 645N shows 92% vertical and 93% horizontal. It's not that big of a deal, but I'm wondering if Pentax updated the viewfinder coverage on the 645NII.

Also, if you ever do a controlled test comparing macro/telephoto image sharpness with and without the mirror locked, please post the results here for everyone to see. There is a lot of speculation on this subject and I think everyone would like to know just how good that mirror dampening system is.

Thanks again for the review!

To my knowledge there was no change to the new model's viewfinder coverage. I was rounding up. I'll change it to round down.

I will be doing a mirror vibration test soon. Anecdotally, last week I hand-held the camera with a 300mm lens at 1/125 sec and got several decent shots, so my initial impression is that the camera's low mirror and shutter vibration reputation is true.

Michael

I too shoot w/P 67 and am considering P 645NII for purpose of shooting w/ 600 5.6 EDIF. This would give me 35 equiv of 360mm, only 10.5 lbs, MFD of only 16' w/ED optics. To me this makes more sense than to buy the very expensive 67 400 EDIF or any of the larger 67 beasts with long MFD. Any feedback on this idea?

I was gratified to read this review. Last year I purchased a used paleo-P645 (pre-AF), and I've been enjoying it greatly, both the images and just using the camera.

I haven't had a chance to play with the P645N, but clearly it's an improvement on an already great (and under-rated) camera.

I sold the Pentax 645 N (I) this week and got a used Mamiya 645

Super with lots of glass & accessories.

Why? Well, while the Pentax body itself is absolutely superb, look

at the Pentax lens line-up.

Today i did some indoor shooting (my kids, weather being ...bad)

with the 1.9/80 mm. Just like that, 400 ISO (Ilford XP 2),

1/125sec, fully open, no flash - just as if i was using my Leica M

6. Tomorrow i´ll stroll around downtown Cologne with my 50 mm

Shift lens. The 5.6/300 mm i bought second hand for 460,00

EURO (about $ 400) is supposedly arriving on Monday. I´m pretty

sure to get the 24 mm fisheye on Ebay any of these days.

Got the drift?

What i´d really love is a Pentax 645 body with a Mamiya 645

bajonett.

Beside that, www.luminous- landscape.com rules! The stuff on

the Leica M 6 is the best on the net!

Hi Waldemar ...

You turned in a complete camera system for one f-stop ???????????? There must be more to your rationale. You could have accomplished the same thing by shooting ISO 800 film or cutting your shutter speed in half.

Also, don;t understand your comment "... look at the Pentax lens line-up ..." ? Pretty elaborate from where I sit.

Ray