Pentax 645 Scanning Workflow: Epson 4490 vs Epson v500

photic

<p>Hi,<br>

I gather that image quality wise the Epson 4490 and V500 models are basically the same.<br>

How about workflow? Is one more convenient for scanning medium format? I will mainly be scanning 220 slide film from my Pentax 645? Can one scanner manage more frames at a time than the other (especially for quick previews)? What about software compatiblity with newer operating systems?<br>

And while I appreciate that these are not ideal scanners for medium format compared to V700, Nikon 9000, Imacon, drum scan, etc ... please comment on these two models only as they are the only ones I can afford for the time being.<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>I had a 4490 and now have a V500 (long story). The only real difference is the V500 light source. It is a little faster on start up. Unlike Ray, I had problems with the Epson Scan V500 software in W7. Vuescan works great. If you are located in the U.S., Epson Clearance Center just put V500 refurbs up for ~$135 w/free shipping.</p>

<p>Andriy, I'm pleased with the V500... gives me scans of MF that make good prints of moderate size.</p>

<p>Be aware that the resolution is nothing like the quoted figure. In my tests, I get 1300 ppi on one axis and 2000 ppi on the other. It's better at resolving lines that run parallel to the scan track. See test target scan in this thread: <a href="../digital-darkroom-forum/00UZJA">http://www.photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00UZJA</a></p>

<p>Everyone can make their own judgment, but I'm pleased with prints at 6x the linear dimension of the film (for example, 12x18" from 6x9cm negatives or chromes.</p>

<p>Thanks for the scan posts. But has anybody (other than Gerry) had a chance to use both the 4490 and the v500? How does the workflow compare? Which scanner will be less of a pain in the neck for me?</p>

<p>I have the v500, but there is one reason that I would upgrade to the 700: the ability to use betterscanning's film holder that will let you scan 6 frames at a time. I use their film holder for the V500, which allows scanning 3 frames, which, while an improvement over the Epson holder (lets you make 2 frames), is still time-consuming for rolls of 220.<br>

The V500 is very good if you don't do volume work. I find its weakness is color negative film, which maybe more related to my technique.</p>

<p>I scanned my MF photos with a 3200 for about 2 years, before I upgraded to the 4990.<br /> They are worlds apart in sharpness and DMAX. The 3200 really struggles with dark slides; its broad-area light source smears specular details, like in the example below. I still use the 3200 for document scanning, for which it's perfect, but wouldn't recommend it anymore for film scanning.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>@Ray Butler: Exactly the advice I needed. Thanks! I can now cross that model off my shopping list (the only used one that was on there anyway).<br>

Here's what remains at the best prices I can find here in Canada:<br>

* Epson 4490 (new) $150<br /> * Epson V500 (new) $230<br /> * Epson V600 (local new) $300<br>

Tough decision ... anyone else care to weigh in on these other models and how they compare?<br>

The V series worth the extra money? Especially in workflow - I want to get the scanner that will help me save time. I don't want to spend days scanning 645 frames any more than I want to spend days post-processing in Photoshop. Call me lazy, but I'd rather go out to shoot some more.</p>