Pentax 35/2.4 reviewed at Photozone

r.t. dowling

<p>It is a throwback to the old days of a 50mm f2 offered together with a modest-cost DSLR as a beginner's kit. </p>

<p>For me, I'm with Justin as to the 28mm, except I already own the pretty compact FA 28mm f/2.8, which I have been happy with. It did quite well in tests way back when. However, a small, top-notch 28mm Limited would still possibly stir my interest. </p>

<p>Wayne, Justin, MK, et al: I'm actually very excited about this lens. I'm itching to pick one up. I was thinking about doing it this month along with a K10 purchase, but my daughter's tuition is due... darn kids are always ruining my fun. :-) In any case, had this lens been faster or not made of plastic, it would have been more expensive. $220 for a brand new lens (MSRP) is exactly what I was looking for. I'll need my photography for pay for itself before I can buy the nicer Limited lenses (particularly the 70/2.4) but the 35/2.4 should do very well as my second AF lens.</p>

<p>I guess it's fortunate that I have HUGE Buyer's Remorse... I have changed my mind just a little bit since September about my lens choices, but this little 35 would do well to have a 24-28mm companion.</p>

<p>I think this lens is a great offering, especially as a kit lens. Unfortunately it's not being marketed that way in all (many?) markets, as this would make a real statement about Pentax priorities and strengths (namely, primes).</p>

<p>Given the body of the review I have no idea why the final scores were not higher. I can see no real downside to this lens for the money. I appreciate Photozone's no-nonsense approach. But now they've stepped up to the K-5, the tests results cannot be compared to any previous review.</p>

<p>Like Justin I would only be personally interested if it was a 28mm. But, having seen what it is capable of, I would recommend this lens to anyone else.</p>

<p>I'm more of the mind that perhaps Pentax should release other prime lenses in this "non-limited" class, even if they were as slow as this DA35. Maybe a DA24/2.8 , the existing DA35/2.4, and DA50/2 would make excellent lenses in this class. I don't at all mind the plastic bodies and mounts. And if they kept my proposed additions around $225 they could certainly round out the "student" sector very well. They could even throw in a DA85/2 if they wanted. I'm sure it would be popular, but due to the focal length, they'd probably ask more for it... even at f/2.</p>

<p>Dear Pentax, I think you're on the right track with this DA35...</p>

<p>I see your point, Jeremiah, but wonder whether there's really a market for cheap primes when good moderately priced zooms are readily available. This 35mm is a interesting "toe-in-the-water" experiment. Of course, I'll be among the grumblers if it looks like Pentax is going in that direction to the neglect of higher-end lenses. </p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"...wonder whether there's really a market for cheap primes when good moderately priced zooms are readily available."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sony seems to think so: they've recently come out with a 30/2.8 macro ($199), a 35/1.8 ($199), a 50/1.8 ($149), and a 85/2.8 ($249). They also have a 28/2.8 for $270.</p>

<p>Dave, There are a fair amount of okay zooms available, but for <em>me</em> and <em>the way I shoot</em> zooms are painful. That fact could be brought on by the fact that I have only one zoom with a constant aperture, but even then I can see the change in barrel distortion and pincushion through the VF, let alone when I get into Lightroom. It's not that these things can't be corrected, because we know they can... But my eyes actually witnessing the change in distortion brings on headaches. (not figuratively, but literally.) It's the reason that I don't use my MkI kit lens more often. It's plenty sharp for what I'm doing, but the change from 18 to 35 is enough that I want to bring my eye away from the VF and then look through again after I've zoomed.</p>

<p>Of course, I wouldn't want Pentax to focus on the lower end so much that it neglects the upper end. I'm simply asking for a few more choices for lower end primes, and when my wallet (AKA wife) allows me to, I'd upgrade to the Limiteds and sell of the Lower end ones to afford the jump.</p>