Pentacon Praktica MTL 5 with 50-2 Industar lens

<p>Hello all!</p>

<p>I decided to take out my Pentacon Praktica MTL 5 with the 50-2 Industar lens. Subbarayan was kind enough to send me some button cells so I could test out the meter on this tank.</p>

<p>I had used this camera previously and just guessed at the settings but with the button cell I could finally join the modern era. Whenever I expect rough treatment from weather or situation I always take my Praktica. And this lens is great too. With it on I can fit the whole setup in my pocket, but then I don't have decadent and frivolous pockets like the bourgeoisie.</p>

<p>It's a very WYSIWYG set up. Straight up, like a shot of vodka. No frills, auto-focus or exposure. It can take a severe and blistery winter that would make Von Paulus surrender, or survive banishment to a Gulag. A true work-horse, strong like bull.</p>

<p>Anyways, enough of my senseless drivel, to the pictures! The film was Fujicolor Press 400, processed by Target Photo.</p><div>00T5Pb-125563584.JPG.13ba8b5b078c3bf6907f52c3001d9bf8.JPG</div>

<p>I love the lens, I like the continual aperture adjustment, where it doesn't have the clickstops so you can get the meter needle right where you want, if that's how you do things. I think the light meter on this one needs adjustment though, or when I take it out next I'll have to shoot for a little more exposure. I usually carry around the Industar in my pocket. That way I always have something extra if I need it.</p>

<p>Thanks Russ and Louis,<br /> It is an M-42 mount. I'm not sure if there's another variant mount, Kozma might know. I got mine for $9 US. I have noticed that the prices are going up though. But any price below $30 I think is a great deal for the lens. I saw a listing a while back selling a bulk lot of them. It's surprisingly sharp and the smallest lens I've ever handled.</p>

<p>A rugged beast is right! Love the sound of it. The only issue I've had is that the self-timer tends to stick once in a while, but you just have to give it a push and it's off. As for the lens, the only thing I found that I had to get used to was the aperture ring didn't give you much to hold on to, so it would be hard to adjust with gloves on.</p>

<p>Hello A1V-</p>

<p>I really like those reflection photos.<br>

I think they are very beautiful.<br>

Don't get rid of the camera, its a real beauty in its catagory.<br>

Somewhere in East Germany, or maybe Poland, there must be<br>

an entire <em><strong>building</strong> </em> made of those Praktica bricks! ahahaahahh</p>

<p>Thanks Subbarayan,<br>

Thanks for the button cells, I think the meter is just underexposing by a bit but I can adjust my style to it. I'll do the dry runs too. That's what I like about these cameras, it seems like if you just keep exercising them they'll run forever.</p>

<p>Hi Al, I really like the Duck Blind and Reflection shot, I agree with Subbarayan - keep'm coming.<br>

I've currently got some BW400CN film in my Praktica MTL50 with Industar-61 L/Z macro lens. The position shutter release and lightmeter button take some getting used to. But apart from that I find it a very nice camera to work with.<br>

Is it normal that the lightmeter does not work for the slow shutterspeeds below 1/30th of a second?</p>

<p>Rick and Al, the light meter in the Praktica L-series is not that difficult to tune and calibrate. You may check this thread below when we had a discussion with Dzombak.</p>

<h1>Buying Praktica MTL 5 - what to look for?</h1>

<p ><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=4084260">Chris Dzombak</a> , Aug 11, 2008; 07:36 p.m.</p>

<p >However, I am not sure that the light meter can be tuned correctly for the slower speeds below 1/30 sec at the same time it is calibrated correctly for the 1/125 and higher. One may have to choose the range in which one operates more often and then tune it for the same. May need to make some sacrifice on the other range.</p>

<p >I calibrated a couple of them correctly for 1/125 sec and higher speeds. They seem to work okay down to 1/8 sec. Below that I have not really tried. Also I use mainly B&W. The real test will happen with Color Slides, as they have low tolerance for over exposure, I think. Interesting problem you raised Rick; let me know if you get any experimental results on this.</p>

<p >Regards,</p>

<p >subbarayan.</p>

<p>Subbarayan,<br /> I took the camera with me to work today, it's sitting on my desk as I type this (okay, I should really be doing some work, but it IS Friday after all), so I can check the meter here. Sorry, the meter appears not to work at 1/4th of a second and slower.</p>

<p>The light meter's accuracy does not appear to be a problem, but the meter does not seem to work at all on 1/4th of a second and slower. Neither of the two red arrows light up. I was just wondering if this was normal behaviour or if something is broken.</p>

<p>It's not really a problem as I also usually carry my VCII meter with me.<br /> I shot some low light photos last tuesday when I was in Brussels with friends to see the Robert Capa photo exhibition and the Belgian Army Museum. I just need to finish the roll.</p>

<p>Sorry for the topic-hijack Al.<br>

Rick</p>

<p>According to http://www.praktica-collector.de the models differ very little;</p>

<p>The MTL-5 was produced from 1983 to 1985, and it had an X-sync plug on the side of the lens base. The TTL meter output is shown by a needle on the right side of the viewfinder. Center the needle for properly exposed picture</p>

<p>The MTL-50 was produced from 1985 to 1989, no X-sync, and the TTL meter output is indicated by two LEDs in the shape of red arrows on the right side of the viewfinder. Both arrows need to light up simultaneously for a properly exposed picture .</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It is an M-42 mount. I'm not sure if there's another variant mount</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There was one Exakta model that shared the MTL series chassis and had the advantage of a removable pentaprism, the RTL 1000. see this page: http://captjack.exaktaphile.com/Exakta%20RTL%20Page.htm.<br>

The MTL series were an enormous leap forward from the Nova series, especially in terms of reliability.</p>