With multiple 580ex's (including one on the camera as the master), does the

master-slave control system work if the master is connected via PC terminal

instead of camera hot shoe?

I'm not looking for E-TTL control, just the 580ex's on manual mode. Could I

still use one of them as master and the rest as slaves and control manual power

of the different groups via the master flash when the master flash is connected

via PC connector?

THe master would be a 580ex II.

I have used a 580EX on a hot shoe adaptor that was connected to the PC teminal of my 30D(a $15 adaptor). I had the 580EX set as master and would control a 430EX set as slave. The 580EX was set to manual. IT worked well but I don't think you can adjust ratio with it. I simply moved the 430EX closer or further from the subject to control "power". I then had a third flash(an old promaster) with an obtical slave built in set up as a hair light. It worked rather well.

See a sample here: http://jphotography.phanfare.com/album/372824/509548#imageID=23401197

Nothing special about the photo but it proves it did work, but as I said I can not comment on being able the control ratio and such from the master when connected to a PC terminal. I did not even both to try as I found it easier to just slide the light stand back a few inches. But I know it will fire the master and then the slave with the IR signal.

I feel sure that it is said that the PC terminal is disabled on the flash(580EXII) when in master mode. But a PC to Hotshoe adaptor may still work. I was useing the 580EX with no PC terminal.

If you already have the flashes then it should be rather easy to test it out, all you need it the PC to Hot shoe adaptor. Or a radio trigger. Beware, some of these flashes react a little differently when conected to a radio trigger than to a physical PC connection.

Jason