PC Cord

william_rubin

I'm going crazy with my PC cord. Why won't it stay connected to the camera!!!? I've lost

shots because the stupid cord keeps falling out. It happens mostly with my F100

(attached to a Sunpak 555 and studio lights) but it happens with my D100 sometimes too.

It must be the F100 connector that's the problem. Does anyone else have this problem?

Dependingon the camera I've used various combinations of rubber bands and/or tape to keep the cord attached. How does it look? Who cares! Nothing looks more rediculous than a photographer's flash NOT going off, and then fumbling around with the cord to get it reconnected. In the past both Leica and Rolleiflex have used sockets that will accept standard PC cords as well as cords with ridged tips that the flash socket can "grab" on to.

Paramount and Lindahl make PC conditioners. Short of that, there used to be a plastic gizmo that the cord threaded into and it was attached to one of the strap lugs. It kept the pressure off the cord and prevented it from pulling out. You could fashion a similar device from those plastic cord holders meant to be stuck onto a base board to keep cords neat. They can be purchased from The Container Store or hardware store. I put one of those on my old Mamiya C330f and it worked like a charm. Keeps the tip from twisting around in the PC socket too. If your Nikon does have the threaded socket, though, that is the best. You can have custom PC cords made by Paramount, which will put any of a number of cord ends on the cord. Expensive but worth it when you think of misfires and lost shots.

Well it's good to hear others are feeling my pain. It doesn't look threaded to me. There's

one ridge that may catch hold of a threaded pc. I'll look into that. I like the cord clip idea

too. Anything at this point. It's ridiculous that this is a problem. They can make such an

amazing piece of equipment-the camera- but they can't figure out how to make a simple

connection work.

If you doing studio make the leap to Pocket wizards...no more tripping over wires or tearind down lights because you forgot you where connected. Also I hated it when I was so into shooting photos what when I looked down I saw the sync cord....once you go wireless you won't want to ever be teathered again.

Another pitch for the threaded connector. It's already built into

your camera, you just need to get a cord with the threaded PC plug.

<a href="http://www.paramountcords.com">Paramount cords</a> makes makes them. They'll even custom build you

a cord with the Nikon thread on one end and the connector of your

choice on the other end. I use them; they always make a

good connection and they NEVER come out. No maintenance required.

<p>I too was frustrated by PC cords not staying connected to my camera. So one day I decided to use gaffers tape to hold it on there.

<p>That is the day I set my camera down on a table and started to walk over to adjust a light. I got the PC cord wrapped around my ankle and this gave it a good yank. In days past, that would have jerked the cord out of the camera. With my ingenious new sync-cord retention system, though, it yanked the camera off the table.

<p>My assistant - and I should say that I <b>very</b> rarely use assistants - happened to be in a position to save the camera and did so with a spectacular diving catch.

<p>So I figure the gaffer tape idea cost me $250 (which is what I tipped the assistant for going above and beyond the call of duty). This fiscal consideration went on to justify my purchase of radio remotes and I've been a lot happier since.