PB6 Bellows setup

warren_williams

<p>I managed to crack one of the plastic shoe inserts that rides on the bellows tracks. Nikon doesn't carry spare parts anymore according to an email I got from them. Does any repair person have a good stock of spare parts for older accessories or does any one have any other ideas (I tried to reglue without much success)</p>

<p>The broken one may not be strong enough to be used when glued together, but it could serve as a template for a 3D printer in the right hands. There are companies (Google) that do commercial "recreations" along these lines.*</p>

<p>The PB-4 is, BTW, a very nice bellows unit ( http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00bs1Z )</p>

<p>__________<br>

*"Computer, make me a gin and tonic" - it's coming.</p>

<blockquote>

<p ><a name="00e1iJ"></a><a href="/photodb/user?user_id=2085864">Frank P.</a>, Jun 30, 2016; 10:23 a.m.</p>

<p >Sell it for parts and buy the PB-4 bellows. Much nicer bellows that has shift and swing movements.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The swings and tilts are somewhat limited and the design of the bellows itself limits the number of different cameras you can mount on it. The PB-6 is a much better bellows overall and is more rigid with the single dovetail design. I have had both, I would take my PB-6 any day over the PB-4.</p>

<p>I agree with Scott Murphy. Having owned both the PB-4 and PB-6, the latter is better. For example, the PB-6 has a reversible front standard while the PB-4 relies on adapters to mount a lens in reverse. If you know how to obtain and use industrial strength epoxy you might try a repair. Since it is a moving part under some stress a 3D printer part would have to be made with strong material.</p>

<p>Other than that you might want to contact a number of repair shops to see if anyone has a PB-6 being parted out.</p>

<p>I would think that with the right adhesive that it could be back to 90% strength and potentially with the addition of some well placed small screws it could be back to full strength depending on the crack. Post a picture of what it looks like.<br>

Also, from time to time you can get a PB-6 that's in bad shape and use it for parts.</p>