Payment method

robert_k1

<p>A stage actor asks me to photograph him at a location of his choosing (an hour drive each way for me) and in costume. He wants six photos that are "moody", mostly for monitor display. Since I seldom encounter requests that are this specific, I need to come up with a payment method that is equitable for both parties.</p>

<p>What I have in mind is this. A 50% deposit before the shoot, and full payment when the six photos are delivered. After the shoot, I would show him a album with a couple dozens of shots for his review and selection, all of which would have copyright on them. After his selection, I would post process and edit the six photos and remove the copyright. This way, it will not be a total loss for me if the shots do not meet his expectation. Nor can he use the copyrighted photos.</p>

<p>Any comments?</p>

<p>Since you asked the open-ended "any comments?", my comments are:</p>

<ul>

<li>Please learn what copyright is</li>

<li>Please learn what a watermark is</li>

<li>If purchasing the photos is optional, price your services as being for two items: the first for the photo session and the second for the images. Make sure you set your session fee high enough that you're still making money even if the client chooses not to purchase any of the resulting photos.</li>

<li>You note "This way, it will not be a total loss for me if the shots do not meet his expectation" - this is why you'll want to price for the photo session separately. Not only should it "not be a total loss", it should be profitable if you've spent several hours of your time making and editing the images.</li>

<li>Keep in mid that if the actor chooses not to purchase the images, you're not likely to end up benefitting from them in the future.</li>

<li>It should be an element of any shoot, but since you specifically mentioned this is a stage actor, be sure you have a model release.</li>

</ul>

<blockquote>

<ul>

<li>It should be an element of any shoot, but since you specifically mentioned this is a stage actor, be sure you have a model release.</li>

</ul>

<p><a name="pagebottom"></a></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Releases are not necessary unless you plan to use the photo for "commercial" use i.e., to promote or sell something. Using it in your portfolio or website does not require a release.<br>

You need to get a release if you plan to sell the photos at another time as stock, or if you plan to use them to promote or sell a product or service. Other uses are considered "editorial" and do not require release.</p>

<p><Chas></p>

<blockquote>

<p>"It should be an element of any shoot, but since you specifically mentioned this is a stage actor, be sure you have a model release."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Why would a photographer need to obtain a release if someone is using their own likeness? Does the person sign it and then give it to himself?</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses.</p>

<p>I probably should have used watermark instead of copyright. I meant that there will be my name splashed across an image.</p>

<p>I have no intent to use these photos for any other purposes, and don't think I would need a release.</p>

<p>Pricing the photo session separately is a very good suggestion. But I would still ask to be paid first before I release a shutter.</p>

<p>Typically my clients would ask me for something similar to my work that they have already seen. What makes me nervous about this shoot is that the stage actor is asking for something that is a little different from my normal portraits. Hence the concern.</p>

<p>BTW, there are plenty of threads here about pricing. But I can't find any about payment methods.</p>

<p>Robert:</p>

<p>I would price this in two pieces. One piece for your time and expenses. And another piece for buying any prints. I'm assuming that even if your photos are totally unacceptable to this person, you want to be paid something. This is where a contract comes in very handy. Make sure you spell out all expectations. If he's unsatisfied with the photos, what is his remedy?</p>

<p>Eric</p>

<p>re: payment methods - cash works for me (I have one client who pays in $100 bills), but if it's someone you know, a check is fine.</p>

<p>Othewise, I'd consider Paypal, so you can accept a credit card without the huge fees to set up a merchant account.</p>

<p>I typically don't ask for a deposit, but my work is "commissioned" and they get a fixed number of prints/files as part of the package.</p>

<p>Because my work is for print and website use, I charge a creative fee to do the shoot and produce the prints/files. Then I charge usage fees that depend on what they will do with the photos. I charge much more for a photo for a magazine ad than for a photo for a website.</p>

<p><Chas></p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Wow, some people here talk as though it's the 1980's or something. Don't price for prints and the shoot. Just figure out what you want to charge total, then get a 50% deposit up front, then 50% in the back. Saying that you are selling prints may make them try to negotiate on that second 50% at the end if they suddenly decide they want only 3 images. <br>

Then, if they want prints, charge them for the images. It's the digital age, and so the game has been changed. Play the game 50/50 and it will prepare you for the future if you want to be a real successful photographer, I'm talking six figures big. Never bet on prints, it's dead in this age unless you are shooting a calender and have a 40k budget and are asked to work on it full service.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>I make some photos without payments in front, later i make watermarks UNPAID 1 USD, but i tell person that i gonna put at web pictures and he can choose the best. Without watermark people just make printsreen and copy your photo and doesnt matter quality and size.<br>

So after i protect and upload at facebook, and Picassa i send link to client.<br>

He ask about price for pics he interested. I send and my IBAN of my bank, he transferr summ.<br>

UNPAID 1 USD protect you and doesnt matter that image cost 22 euro, that is My mage untill some one pay me for image, because they dont pay for my job nothink.<br>

And at last 2 yrss nobody ask me about any licence at all.<br>

And main point They pay if they LIKE, nobody understand nothink at since of photo or since of LOW, if they LIKE they pay, and pay a lot, at my studio pack 10 pics at 20 by 25 cm cost 100 euro, and they pay if they like</p>