paul schilliger

ken_hughes4

Since this is apparently going to degenerate into a trashing of a regular contributor to this forum, and having never been one to avoid a good row, I <em><strong>like</em></strong> good "postcard" shots, and I like Paul's vision of the Alps. His pictures raise the fur on the back of my neck, because I've been in places like he shoots when the light is right, and the atmosphere is real. Based on the two references to Esser, if that's his work, I'm sure it would have been a big hit at the Chicago Exposition.

Well done Ken, it is about time that Paul's name should be put way out in front as it deserves to be. I have made many visits to Paul's web site. His portfolio #7 in particular was for me a deep emotional experience, which in some ways it reminds me of Elliot Porter's landscapes but with a greater range of vision and the most perfect technique. The silly remark about no feeling only indicates that gentleman did not carefully study the breath and depth of Paul's photography which is truly amazing, or else is himself devoid of feeling. As much as I admire the work of several of the great North American landscape photographers that work in color, I think that Paul's work is at least its equal if not better in some respects. As for Tim Atherton's preferences for Elger Esser,... really and with all respect, ...the two links hardly prove the point specially the second, which is the frontispice for one of his books. One should not judge a book by the cover, so perhaps Tim could show us what else he bases his opinions on.

As for Paul's biblical quotes, it seems to me, a non-religious person, that they transcend religious labels, dogma or creed. Those quotes were selected because they belong to the poetry of the world and speak to the heart. I find Paul's writing exquisite, and proppose to you that he is a true poet in several dimensions. To my knowledge no living photographer matches Paul's range of poetic talents, in two languages, no less!

Paul is a very self effacing and the most modest of men and the only talent he lacks is that of blowing his own trumpet. His other talents, sooner or later he will earn him the recognition he deserves. Many thanks Ken for a most timely posting.

I totally agree with the supporters of Paul's work.

His web site is tastefully crafted and his photographs have a dreamy, timeless quality that I really like; I'm especially impressed by the sheer number of shades of green several pictures display.

He is a most charming person too: I contacted him to buy a couple of prints so I could use them as a reference for my beginner's efforts in the computer darkroom and was surprised to receive them free of charge, along with a card expressing best wishes for my endeavours.

Hi all

Not all what comes out of the Bechers scoul is really good I almost just like original Bechers.

I also prefer the visions of Paul not the art trash of Esser wich just look as old pictures is not really creativ!

But he comes from the Bechers so he must be very good and cool haha!

Thats my opinion!

Indeed, of the thousands upon thousands of photographers that are present on the web, Mr. Schilliger's is only one of three sites I have marked ... every few months I find myself visiting his site for inspiration in my own work.

His use of color in landscapes is superb, but he clearly achieves this result through timing, vision/composition, and excellent technique. And it doesn't hurt that he's on the shores of Lake Geneva!

Joffre

This thread makes me curious about what forum members are looking at/for in "good" photographs. Although I wouldn't say Schilliger's are postcard photos (maybe more like very well-done calendar photos), their lack of criticality or suggestion of narrative, in fact lack of anything other than aesthetic content, certainly makes them less interesting to me than the work of, for instance, Karin Muller (German, but not from the Becher class at Kunstakademie Dusseldorf):

http://www.karynlovegrovegallery.com/muller/artworks.html

or John Pfahl:

http://www.josephbellows.com/pfahl.html

Richard Misrach:

http://www.edelmangallery.com/misrach.htm

or Miles Coolidge:

http://www.betlachfamilyfdn.org/c_coolidge.html

to name just four of the more interesting (IMO) photographic artists working with landscape.

This is not meant to be a value judgment on Schilliger's photos, in fact I find some of them beautiful (especially portfolio 6). I'm just honestly curious what forum contributors are looking for: do you think good technique and composition is enough to make a really good photo, or do you want tension, narrative, i.e. something more than aesthetics and technical execution. I think it�s appropriate to ask this here since the LF group seems to me to be more interested in making work than some of Photo.net�s more gear-oriented groups.

I posted a thread here about starting my website and having trouble with fonts, it was deleted, but Paul e-mailed me gave me helpful suggestions, I appreciate that.

As to Paul Schilliger's website, the images have been done with a high degree of skill and imagination, whether you prefer his style or not is a personal choice as opposed to painting his work with a 'postcard' brush.

While on the subject of postcards, there are postcards that showcase some good work, and some lousy work too, someone chooses my work for a postcard, I'll take it in a second.

When it comes to a Photographer of this level of skills, the only thing that counts is specifics, specifics about what he did wrong/or right, specifics as exactly how he/or you could've made the shot better, as too this particular website, I don't see how anyone standing in the footprints he left when he did the shot, is going to improve on the images in question, if they can, I'll be standing in line to see 'em.

I personally think that Paul's images are some of the best that you'll ever see. I also feel that he should get a lot more credit for his work. If one takes into account the likes of Christopher Burkett (a similar style) and all the acclaim that he gets, then Paul should be equal, if not greater than that.

I've also had contact with Paul, with regards a font style and as Mr. Brewer pointed out he's been very helpful.

And I won't even bother going into a comparison about Elger Esser.. guess its each to his own.

Nigel Turner.

www.nigelturnerphotographer.com

I don't think Paul's work is postcard quality at all, just the opposite. I see in his work a great sensitivity to light in the most subtle of ways. Most color nature photographers blast us with color hiding only a boring image. Paul does not.

I only shoot bw nature btw.

karin muller, I just don't get.

I think that Paul has shown great vision in his photography.

Yes, there may be others who would prefer outlandish colors, and who are we to argue with them, after all, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"?

I stand by my personal opinion - Paul, Great work! Keep on inspiring me!

Ow, ow! I stumbled across this thread last night and was most surprised and delighted. Thank you, thank you!

One of my good friends always tells me: "Paul, the problem with you is that you are not consistent. You present a very

good image and next is one that shouldn't be here". This summs up probably the early remarks in the discussion. I have

learned through my years that an objective assessment can be more constructive than a complacent critique and it would

take more to offend me. But I have learned never to talk negatively alone. You know: a tap on the back and a quick in the

pants kind of balance. And as several pointed, any form of art is subjective and touches the eye that is sensitive to that

particular form of art. By the way, my friend too has images on his website that I would think are a bit short of his talent,

but that's probably because I did not feel the vibration that he felt when he decided to take that shot.

My website work wasn't done with commercial (I would have died of starvation long ago!) or fame preoccupations in mind.

I just wanted to present a journey in time and space that includes some of my photography on the region where I live, as

well as some personal thoughts, and try to convey a sense of wonder for the simple things of life. That's also why I

decided to give a place in my portfolios to images that are not particularly spectacular but who speak to me, and hopefully

to someone else in some mysterious way. For as it was pointed above: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

As for my texts, whether you like them or not is personal. But I would probably redesign my website a little differently if I

had the time and say less and mean more. By the way, if you liked it, make sure you come back in two weeks or so to see

the two new portfolios! A last word about postcards: I have used that word pejoratively but I was wrong. As someone

mentioned, there are beautiful tastefully crafted postcards. Thanks, particularly to Ken, for showing your appreciation! Others have written privately to me and I know I can count on a good bunch of friends out there!

Paul Schilliger

Some of Paulschilliger�s photographs do posses ingredients to classify them as great art. Some other, however, are just recordings of the environment.

Color landscape photography does not provide much creative opportunity for art development, unless the photographer can select the uncommon from the ordinary and mundane.

I really like Paul's website and what I can see on my monitor of his images. That said, I don't bother to look at images on a computer monitor much. Waste of time. I get the feeling however if I saw Paul's images in the format they were meant for I would be truly awed and humbled.

As to what I, personally, want to see in photographic images or art in general ... Beautiful land/sea-scapes are just about all I want to look at when it comes to art. Maybe a bronze once in a while. So much of what passes for art is really just an affront to the eyes. Art is about creation not destruction. Reportage is valuable but it is not art ... TO ME.

As I stated in another thread: art is interpretive. It is personal between the artist and the audience. Thus Wieslaw's comment "go after expanding the realm of art, not after copying it" is an opinion and may not be held by all. Paul's work moved me in many ways. That is how I define art. IMO, Paul's work captures the essence of what he saw through his lens and conveys it to his audience. And that communication of an artistic insight is also what makes art. Thank you Paul. Chris