Parts for Wista metal field cameras?

noah

<p>I just purchased a Wista 45vx camera. I bought it on ebay from an international seller.</p>

<p>The camera and lens are perfect but there is one broken part. One of the small levers that locks the extension bed is broken. I suppose it oculd have happened in transit but I sort of doubt it, it seems like it would be fairly well protected when the camera is closed. At any rate, since the camera is otherwise perfect and since I looked for a VX for a long time, I'd like to fix it instead of returning it. Are wista replacement parts available and if so, where?</p>

<p>Bob Soloman has been a big help to me and in these forums, as the HP Marketing rep for Wista. I would ask him or contact HP Marketing directly (if in the USA). They seem like great cameras, and I was depressed to find out they are discontinuing them, because I was about to buy one. But I hate to buy a camera that parts may not be available for, so I'll have to go with a Linhof.</p>

<p>Marflex is 252 652-4401. Give them a call if you need replacement parts.</p>

<p>The metal Wista cameras are discontinued and are no longer in production as the company that made the body castings is out of business and the molds are gone. However the accessories are not discontinued. Only the bodies.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info John. I emailed marflex and they got back to me within an hour or so. On a Saturday. I consider that very good service! I don't have any kind of schematic so he said I could photograph the part and send it to him, which I'll do Monday.</p>

<p>Michael--I wasn't aware that the cameras have been discontinued, but I imagine parts will be around for a while. I could have bought an extra camera or two for parts/backup for the price of a Linhof, so for me it seemed like a good deal. Linhofs are beautiful without a doubt, but I really like the Wista. First of all, it still works despite the broken knob. It locks down very solid and also seems very easy to use and intuitive. When I talk to the folks at Marflex on monday I'll ask about expected availability of parts.</p>

<p>My parts arrived within a few days--good service indeed.</p>

<p>I have one more question. There is a small lever on the back of the camera--on the top right corner when the back is set to insert the film holder from the right. I have read elsewhere that this is to unlock the revolving back. But the back on my camera turns even without activating the lever. Is this a problem? I removed the rotating back and I can't even see that the lever does anything. The revolving back does click into place, so it is usable, but I'd like to know if it's operating properly.</p>