Partner for my 5d Classic : 5dII or 7d or another 5Dc?

alwin_lai

<p>Hi,<br>

I have gotten some pretty good practical advise here in the past regarding camera bodies. I shoot portraiture/wedding for my business. The 5dc has been awesome. The back up body is a 30D. While it works fine on most areas, I find that lately, I am getting large print requests more and more. Therefore the 8.2MP file of the 30D is limiting. I once printed a full spread image 22" wide and barely made it with the 5d file @300dpi.<br>

I am thinking of getting a 5dII as a partner with the 5dc because FF images are so pleasing for the type of work that I do. However even at used prices it is ~$2000.<br>

The other alternative is a 7D. It has always been a camera I wanted for personal general use. But strength is not on portraiture vs. FF. I like that it is modern. Great AF, HD video and the 1.6x crop reach.<br>

Last consideration is to pick up another 5Dc. Money saved (from 5d2) can be put towards a new lens. Been eye-ing the 35L. However I might still run into large print challenges.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have a 5DIi and a 7D. When doing portraiture I almost always reach for the 5DII rather than the 7D. I'm one of those who sees a big difference in FF vs. crop. But still, the 7D is no slouch in the IQ department, which would give you more money to put toward lenses.<br>

At this stage I wouldn't get another 5D classic. Good camera, but at some point in the fairly near future, it's going to be two generations old. let your current classic become your backup body and buy one of the others as your front-line camera.</p>

<p>IDK, if you can expand your work by exploring new lens options, then you would be doing yourself a disservice by wasting capital on a body that <em>won't</em> expand your capabilities... a 5D2 won't expand your capabilities beyond what a 5D can do (unless you <em>need</em> the extra 9mp or video) -- BTDT. If by getting another 5D (as opposed to a 5D2), you can broaden your horizons w/ a 35/1.4L (or something else), that very well could be a better choice for you.<br>

How do you know? Ask yourself this question: What do I want to do, that I can't now and would be able to with such and such a purchase? If an answer doesn't pop right into your head (like immediately) than you may want to rethink that idea.</p>

<p>5DII is the easy recommendation, of course. However I get the feeling from your post that you would struggle to afford on of these, especially new.</p>

<p>If the main problem with your back-up camera is simply the resolution, then what would be wrong with a s/h 50D? It would take the lenses, etc, you have been using on the 30D, it would have a very familiar feel, it would give you much more resolution to play with, and would not be expensive. I think you would also find that high ISO performance would much better with a 50D than a 30D. As an even lower-cost alternative, a s/h T1i would give you the same resolution as a 50D albeit in a smaller and flimsier body.</p>

<p>As usual, great replies! Some gut check questions.<br>

The 5d2 is indeed an obvious choice. The 1dsII is quite an interesting suggestion. I doubt I will need the sealing of a 1ds.<br>

Currently the lens group consist of the venerable 50 1.8 mkI, 17-40L, 70-400 2.8 and 135L. The 35L would certainly cover a wider composition with good bokeh for my portraits. Something the 17-40L is weak. Also great for small indoors. The alternate is a 35/2 lens.<br>

I guess I can either pair 5d2 & 35/2 or another 5dc & 35L or 7d & 35L. Thoughts?</p>

<p>FWIW, I'm not a pro and I don't shoot weddings, but I like the flexibility of the combination of a full frame and crop sensor bodies. I have a 5D, usually mounted with a 24-105 f/4 and 40D with a 70-200 f/4. I often use this combination when I'm working with a local theatre group, because it gives me the ability to shoot wide to capture the entire scene, mid-telephoto for tighter shots, and fairly long telephoto for facial closeups, with essentially continuous focal length coverage from 24mm (on the 5D) to 320mm (equivalent on the 40D). The downside is the extra bulk and weight as I move, trying to keep quiet so I don't distract the performers.<br>

When the mirror came loose in my 5D, I was able to mount the 24-105 on the 40D and keep shooting. I lost some of the focal length range, but I was at least able to keep shooting and get the majority of shots I wanted, regardless.<br>

All in all, given my needs, I would go with the 5D MkII and 7D, given the opportunity.</p>

<p>To my mind, the beauty of the 5D/30D combination is that the user interface and batteries/chargers are virtually identical, which makes operation simpler and requires you to drag less stuff along on a trip. It also gives you the "free" magnification factor of the crop body. (It's the combination I have at the moment.)</p>

<p>Unfortunately, the logical upgrade from this combo would be the 5DII and 7D, which is more coin than I'm likely to plunk down any time soon. In the OP's situation, another 5Dc might be the most affordable and useful option. For my purposes, the 5D/30D combination is still working.</p>