Paper-specific printing problems with Epson r2880

<p>Hello all,<br>

I have been using an Epson 2880 for about a year now and have had great success with it. But recently, when I print on Hahnemuhle FineArt Baryta, I am experiencing the following problem. It prints beautifully until it reaches the last inch or so of the image. At this point, it seems to not advance quite at the same rate, and you can hear a light brushing or clicking sound. The final print will have one or more of the following problems, all running along or near the right side of the photograph: a) short, vertical scratches usually in the last inch of the image b) a half-inch wide band running vertically, about a half inch from the right edge, in which the image is soft and blurred or c) a vertical streak that runs vertically just to the right of the image if white space is included around the image. Everything else about the image is perfect. I printed over 200 images using this same paper, with no problem, so it's a new issue. When I print the same image using Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, for example, using the same print settings, the above problem doesn't appear.<br>

I recently ran the Head alignment and cleaning utilities; no change to above problem.<br>

Some details that might help:<br>

-I'm using Photoshop CS2<br>

-I'm using printer profiles specific to the above papers<br>

-Paper is fed via the Sheet Feeder<br>

-Media Type: Premium Photo Semi-Gloss (for the Baryta)<br>

-Print Quality: 4, not high speed<br>

-Source: Sheet<br>

I called Epson tech support and their initial response was limited because I wasn't in front of the printer. However, the guy kept talking about the fact that I'm not using Epson papers. This seems crazy to me. I didn't buy this printer only to use Epson papers.<br>

So, with that diatribe, any theories or suggestions?<br>

Thanks,<br>

Andrew</p>

<p>Hi, Andrew, I am sorry not being able to help you with your spesific problem, but I wanted to add a comment.</p>

<p>It is not surprising that the Epson representative puts the blame on the paper - this is quite common in the computer industry. If another vendor has delivered anything - and you can delay any repair work or other actions on your own brand - put the blame on him, whatever problem, and accept responsibility only if all other options have been ruled out!</p>

<p>Customer orientation - Hah! :)</p>

<p>It sounds like you are getting a head strike against the paper. This is usually caused by a small amount of curl in the edge and corners of the paper such that it is not perfectly flat against the platen. I had a 2880 for 18 months (and now have a 3880) and found that Hahnemuhle papers tend to curl with time quite noticably. You need to decurl the paper prior to printing by rolling it up and gently flexing the corners against the curl (put a cover sheet over the image surface so you don't scuff or scratch it). You should be able to see that there is no curl towards the printing surface. If there is a little curl in the opposite direction, that's OK as it will stay flat going through the printer.<br>

I've had the same experience as you and found that examining the paper prior to printing pretty much eliminates this. Also, Ilford Gold Fibre Silk pretty much stays flat on storage. One more thing, store all your paper in the box flat and not on edge as this will help reduce curl.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It is not surprising that the Epson representative puts the blame on the paper - this is quite common in the computer industry.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well if this error only happens on this paper (and not others) seem at least in this case, the blame is directed to the right culprit.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>When I print the same image using Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, for example, using the same print settings, the above problem doesn't appear.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You could test different paper settings (media settings, Platen gap etc). </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>I think I'm still banned from Photo.net, but if I'm not here's your likely answer:<br>

Set the receiver tray to its highest position. If that doesn't do the job, try adding an inch with a paperback book as a receiver.<br>

That helped with my two 2200 printers and some non-baryta and with my 3800 with certain baryta papers.<br>

You can't expect an Epson telephone-answerer to have all the answers for everybody else's papers. But in fact I did have your problem with Epson Exhibition Fiber F (close approximation of Ilford Gold Fiber Silk, but more prone to scratching...I think Epson's discontinued it).</p>

<p>I've not found Epson's feeder-slot recommendations to be relevant with 3800 (but I rarely use Epson papers).<br /><br />Recently I've printed Epson Exhibition Fiber F (325 gsm), Ilford Gold Fiber Silk (310 gsm), and Crane Museo (365 gsm...matte) using the front slot (sheet feeder). Some common photocopier paper too, same settings...it was convenient at the time. No scratching EXCEPT for the EEF, when I neglected to elevate the receiver plate to its highest position. In the same humidity EEF is more curved than IGFS, and CM is dead flat. Paper curvature has been more of a problem than paper weight for me...this varies by manufacturer and humidity.<br /><br />Paper SIZE does sometimes matter...11X17 & 13X19 print without problems with most papers using the sheet feeder with the 3800, but 13X19 Moab Entrada did seem to require the rear slot, unlike 13X19 Moab Kayenta...ME also wanted some pre-printing flexing in order to break it's curvature/stiffness.<br /><br />These experiences might apply to 2400/2880 because they did with my old 2200s and do with 3800. Might not apply to the less rugged "non-professional" Epsons.<br /><br />There's no reason to expect much from a machine manufacturer's telephone-answerers, but it might be worthwhile to contact the paper company's "help"(not the dealer's). I found Moab's "help" useful... their people actually use the papers they sell :-)</p>

• 3 months later...