Paper profile from G5 not compatible with Intel Mac?

I work with two macs, and intel-based running leopard, and one with dual 2.3 GHz mac processors in it. I created

a custom paper profile on one machine, but when I print to the same printer (Epson 9880 from Photoshop) with the

intel machine, the profile seems to be off. The reds in particular go blue on me. As far as I can tell I'm

doing everything the same. Using the same rendering intents and print driver settings. The problem does not

show up in soft-proofing. I'm not checking the preserve RGB numbers option, but I am using black point

compensation.

Do I need to make seperate profiles for each computer? I'm printing on Epson Premium Luster paper.

Thanks,

- Josh

I did a recent switch from a G4 Tiger to an Intel/Leopard and haven't noticed any problems with custom and/or Epson

premium profiles on a pair of 1800s, one color, one a b&w inkset. Doesn't mean you might not have a corrupted profile.

Have you tried any other profile/paper combinations to see if it's consistent? Have you updated the 9880 driver to

Intel/leopard specific? Might possibly be a difference there. If memory serves a couple of things I had worked under

leopard with the old Tiger drivers (I do remember an epson scanner driver specifically) but then I found updated drivers for

leopard and at least menus and so forth were different.

Josh, you should only need the one printer profile; the printer profile is independent of your computers.

My guess is that something is still different in the drivers, or possibly the two copies of Photoshop have a different working space or input profile assignment.

Here's how I would test, if it were me. First, load the same test image into both computers. Verify that certain test areas have the same RGB pixel values. Next, check that both computers have the same input profile assigned; if not, specificially assign it. Then, convert to the printer profile, using same CM engine, rendering intent, etc. Finally, check that RGB values in certain areas are still identical. If the same, this shows that your profiles, etc, are not causing a change.

Now, if printing still produces a different result, it must be a consequence of the driver or operating system etc. I've heard of software bugs where a driver behaved differently if the image had a profile embedded vs not, so you might also want to test for this sort of thing.

I've tested printing the same image files (one B&W, one color) from Tiger/PowerPC, Leopard/PowerPC and Leopard/Intel

systems using both Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom 1.4.1 using a fully color managed print workflow. The Epson R2400

driver version is 2.5.3 on Tiger and 6.1.5 on Leopard. Profiles are the same, installed onto both machines.

Results were identical.

Godfrey

I made a print on the G5 today and had the same problem that I had on the Intel-Mac. I believe is this...

Whenever we've printed with our 9600 using the epson driver, the image in print preview looks purple and muted when the "match print colors" box is checked. I've been told by Lexjet tech support that this is OK, and to ignore it. Whether the box was checked or not, the print would look fine, even if the preview looked wrong. So basically the check box had no effect on the actual print. I believe that with the 9880, for whatever reason, this check box does effect the actual print. I probably just left the box checked thinking it still did nothing, and thats why the prints were coming out bad sometimes. So far the problem hasn't repeated itself.

Thanks for all the support.