Panning with a Panasonic G1?

robert_thommes1

<p>What kind of success could I expect if I were to try panning with a Panasonic G1 (or any other m4/3rds camera, for that matter)? I can pan very successfully with my DSLR gear; as I do this all the time for kid's hockey games. But the m4/3rds is not the same, or as responsive, as the DSLR. So, would you think that this is a technique better left to the DSLR gear, and should not be too highly considered for the G1?</p>

<p>I'm not talking about making any "panoramic" shots. But the panning as when following the action; snapping the shutter at the right times to catch the action.<br>

Your thoughts, please. Thanks.</p>

<p>Hi Robert,<br>

IMHO stick with the DSLR for hockey. I shoot baseball and indoor basketball with my D90 with a pretty decent success rate using a 70-200 2.8 and shooting with high ISO.<br>

Hockey is one of the toughest sports to shoot due to the obvious speed that it is played.<br>

I just purchased a G1 and love it so far, but I am skeptical that I would be even remotely successful with the G1 with the "kit" lens<br>

Just my thoughts.....<br>

Mark</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Mark,<br>

Thanks for respondiing.<br>

I think I would stick with the DSLR for hockey. I know that it works, and with good and consistant results. That's about the only reason that I'm using the DSLR anymore. I can use my other (lighter/smaller) gear for about everything else, and with results that equal the DSLR. When the grandkids are through with hockey (at least 3 more years), I'll likey be through with DSLR gear.<br>

I was asking this more in a general sort of way. For like: taking a shot of a moving car, or runner; freezing the object, but blurring the background for the feeling of motion. Just don't know how reliable the G1 or any m4/3rds camera can be for this situation. Hence, my question.</p>

<p>Robert, like I mentioned I just have had mine for 4 days and just getting familiar with the menus.<br>

So far I am very impressed with this camera. I love my D90, but dragging that thing around wiht a battery grip and 17-50 2.8 glass I wanted to try something different and lighter that had great image potential. Also my wife hates the 90 because of the size<br>

I find it humorous that the biggest gripe seems to be the lack of fast glass for it. I think that with good technique and a little post processing this camera can hold its own.</p>

<p>It's interesting to note that the G1 was Panasonic's first m4/3rds camera, and really was maybe one of the best 1st generation cameras made. Sure others have improved a few things on it, but in general, I think the G1 hit the ground running. So, though it's several generations old by now, it's still considered quite the respectable camera.</p>

<p>It all depends on the camera's processor and how fast it can refresh the screen. Some (newer models) are faster than others. A quick and dirty test is to just rotate the camera about the lens axis and see what sort of lag there is on the screen. I have an E-PL2, not so great on panning.</p>

<p>Should not be a problem with an electronic finder. Follow focus may be a little smeary in low light conditions. Let us know what turns out. I think my manual and my Rockynook GH2 handbook I just bought from Amazon deal with this practice. A stabilizing monopod <em>might be</em> what I would employ in the field to get a smoother and leveler pan. Just a thought anyhow. I have a G-1 and a GH2, and am impressed with the finder refresh rates... (PS: Look for even greater improvements along these lens in the near future models. Powerful processors follow old Moore's Law....or old Schwartz's Law,-- whatever:-)</p>