Panchromar filters

Yes, I have a few of these filters (yellow/green, yellow/green 2, green and UV1 "for black-and-white photography in altitudes of above 2000m.") and I have had good experience with them. I use them on my Zeiss Ikon Nettar and Ikoflex cameras. I also have a few Zeiss Ikon filters (red, orange, yellow and yellow/green) so can compare the brands a little. Not what you asked and I'm not trying to change this train of thought, but I'm hoping a comparison might help get a clearer idea.

The color of the Zeiss and Panchromar yellow/green are identical to my eye and both brands seem to be well made, with the Zeiss maybe a little better in construction quality. The Panchromar aluminium bodies are 1/2 again as deep as the Zeiss (not sure if the glass is different thickness, I cannot tell without taking one apart). The Panchromars fit nicely on both the Nettar and Ikoflex. I leave one on my Nettar all the time so I can tell you that there is enough clearance for the filter to stay on the lens with the camera closed.

In a sheet of directions that came with one of my Panchromar filters it states:

"Light filters and colour filters exclusively of solid coloured, tropicalised and radiation-proof optical JENA glass, optically precision ground, polished and with finished edges; with parallel faces."

Sounds good....

As far as the effect of the filter, I find that the yellow/green gives very nice definition but in practical terms, I cannot see any difference between the Zeiss and Panchromar. I'm not an expert by any means but I have a reasonable eye and can usually see subtle differences when put in front of me. With that in mind, I did try a couple landscape photos with the two different yellow/greens (just to see which one I should keep) and the only difference I could see was one of the photos had a seagull flying by and the other didn't. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the filter had anything to do with that.

I think the Panchromar filters are fine, good quality tools. They certainly are much more cost effective than the Zeiss Ikon. I got all four of mine for less than $10.00 and my cheapest Zeiss was $15.00 from a friend. From what I see on that auction site, you can get an "Excellent Condition" everything working Zeiss Ikon Nettar (Sorry for the plug, I like Nettars) for a couple bucks more or less than the filter to fit it. That's gotta count for something!

Oh by the way, I'm keeping both the yellow/greens ;)

Hope this helps some.

Scot,

Thank you for your elaborate answer. I've got some bonus to spent with a reputable seller at a well known auction site and he's offering a set of 58mm filters for a decent sum. I really don't need them much, but may come handy sometimes in future. On the other hand, i find myself spoiled by Heliopan's SH-PMCs.

BTW, I'm an Exakta shooter.

Happy New Year!

Miha