Pancake lens: 28 or 40mm?

JPDupre

A question of taste subject choices & personal preferences. Assuming you own a kit zoom, I'd suggest:

1. Getting a statistics software that will evaluate the EXIF data of all the pictures you took so far, to tell what focal lengths you prefered.

2. Take your zoom and shoot at one focal length for the first week the other the 2nd week.

I here would pick 40mm. "Slightly longer than normal" is handy to shoot (family) portraits, products, details that catch my eye, landscapes. If you are traveling with others somebody will have an i-Phone to take WA shots of a marketplace here, a cathedral there or the group in front of a monument and could share those with you.

If you want to take those shots yourself, you are better served with the 24mm. - Cameras with 38 or 40mm fixed lenses were quite popular during film days.

Maybe try to see your shopping dilemma as part of a bigger picture? - Could you get tempted to sometimes bring a bag full of lenses and which ones would these be? - I guess it is hard to go wrong with a 50mm purchase and a 24mm pancake would be on ideal counterweight on the short end.

I agree with Jochen. No one can really tell you which will serve YOUR needs better without knowing what you shoot most. Assuming you have a kit lens, pick out the kinds of images that you would shoot with the new lens, and look at the focal lengths you use most often. Given what I shoot, I would want the 40mm for my crop camera, but I know plenty of people for whom that would be the wrong choice. That's why Canon makes them both.

For day to day use I would go with the 24mm on a crop sensor. I use a 40mm on a full frame body. It is so sharp, light and small that is stays on the camera body until I have a specific need for another focal length.

I find that I now use the dslr much more simply because it is now so unobtrusive without a large lens hanging on the front of it, and it makes street photography so much easier.

I have the 40mm pancake. Nice lens, sharp, works on both Full Frame or Crop Sensor.

The 24mm is for crop sensor only so if you ever go Full Frame you can't use the lens.

As for which to get, they are different tools, each has a use, so you need to decide how wide you want to shoot.

If you want wider shots to catch streets, more landscape or front row to catch shots of a band and get more in the frame, go 24mm, If you want more portrait type and more cropped, tighter, closer go 40mm. Both lenses produce nice images.

Cheers, Mark

In your shoes, I'd go for both, as they are both dirt cheap, produce good imagery, and are substantially different in FOV. 24mm => 38mm FOV, and the 40mm gives you the 64mm you stated earlier (although a better set choice would probably be the EF-S 24/2.8 & EF 50/1.8). Between the 24 and 40 though - this is a significant difference in FOV. As others have stated, the choice (if you decide on one) should be based on YOUR shooting preferences - they are complementary lenses, but not really interchangeable. Neither are a significant cost if you are upgrading to FF (maybe later down the road?), so I wouldn't (personally) buy based on future plans - maybe if the lens was a $1k+ unit, but not for 0.1k ;-) so it's not worth enduring frustration while shooting simply to potentially future proof (IMO).