wedding photogs at this 2-day event. I believe that there were about 200

booths total. Of these 200, there were 30 photographer booths, about six or

seven per row, one every 3rd or 4th booth. Since I am planning to do my first

bridal show, I was shocked to see how oversaturated the wedding photography

market is for this area and made me reconsider doing one of these shows. I am

the first to say that I am by no means a pro but I'd venture to say that about

95% of the photogs present didn't really distinguish themselves from each other

in terms of quality or creativity. I will say that there is one that definitly

deserves props...Sandra Reed Photography. Her imagery was just outstanding!

Have any of you every seen this many photogs in such large numbers at a single

event? Is it even worth it?

The more photographers exhibiting the better I like it at any bridal show. My way of

thinking, they all contain many of the same products except you (or I) or anyone reading

this can make all the difference getting a potential client to commit to do business.

Having great images is subjective. What does each potential client who visits a booth see?

If they like what they see and what happens when visiting a booth that's what I'm after.

Most B&G's look at more than one photographer before deciding who to hire. The more

exhibiting at a bridal show the less time they will have to spend searching this out by

other means.

I want to be the photographer who will have a followup meeting with the B&G and I want

to be the last person they see.

That sounds about the same as the shows in Minneapolis.

I remember about 4 or 5 years ago when there were only 5 or 10 photographrs, half of which could be considered "traditional." I tend to fall in the "photojournalism" catagory. It was a booking goldmine. 10 to 15 bookings per show.

Now the shows have about 25-30 photographers, most of them less traditional in style. Plus there are two other companies that have shows. It's just not worth it anymore. Roughly $1200 for a booth, plus an assistant, time hauling stuff, cost of the printouts, and you are lucky if you book 1 or 2.

In addition to the increase in the number of photographers, there has been an increase in the number of advertising vehicles- be it print, web, or trade shows.

Your advertising dollar's effectiveness is cut in half, plus there is twice the competition.

Not to sound too gloomy, but it sure isn't as easy as it was to book weddings.

Manuel, you are the best person to know whether or not it is worth it to jump into the pool of Wedding Photographers out there. You have seen the competition and know your own work. Now all you have to do is package your work in such a way as to grab a percentage of the market. The key to success lies in your hook. Remember, it is not the number of fisherman on the pier, but the number of fish that take your bait. If you believe that you have what it takes to compete in the market, then jump right in and go head to head. If you think that you are not competitive enough, then step aside and let the Pros go at it. This is just my 2 cents. Ultimately, it is your money and your call. However, if you want to be the front runner one day. You first have to acknowledge yourself as a player in the race. Good Luck and happy fishing!

George, I agree with you but I'm not selling myself short. I've been doing photography for over 11 years and consider myself experienced but I recently decided to take a chance at wedding photography. This is a whole new different world to get into because it's all about marketing, quality comes second in MOST cases. I agree that you have to have the right angle and sales pitch but most importantly, your picture have to demand attention and sell you and your work without all the self-accolades. I can claim that I offer the best prices with the most options all day but I'd rather put my efforts in showcasing my imagery. My goal is definitely to be in that top 5% of photogs whose wedding imagery really stood out. I know I'll get there, hopefully sooner than later.

Bridal shows are never worth it, if by worth it you mean ROI. Great clients will not go to bridal shows, they are only for folks without the family network, and support needed for a really great wedding. They are full of last minute bargain shoppers, and people with problems. A great bride, will have the support of her family, and friends, and will have all the top vendors referred to her via her closest, most trusted people. J

Manuel, I have seen your website and I agree that you have been doing photography for awhile. You stated that you are not selling yourself short, however, in your original post, you stated "I am the first to say that I am by no means a pro". This is selling yourself short. Your work speaks for itself and so will your self assurance. Once you click your heels 3 times and say "I am a Pro and can compete with the best of them", will the answer to your original post will be evidence. Yes, wedding photography can be scary and yes even the most seasoned photographer can be intimidated about doing weddings; however, once you believe in yourself and the quality of your work, you accomplish your goal and become one of the top 5% in your market.

Manuel - I'm with you in that in wedding photography marketing comes before quality....I'm in the Columbus market and there are alot of bad photogs out there. George is right that if you believe in yourself and the quality of your work that is alot of the battle. I can tell you that our bridal show had something like 9 photogs last year. I think it was about the same this year. I don't think I'll ever do a show because by the time they roll around I'm about 80% booked for my year, but my friends that do them here have great success...and last year I filled alot of my remaining dates with the folks they sent my way. We have a couple, but the main one is happening this weekend. If you are willing to travel a bit you should come my way and do some Cbus weddings. Our market is incredible and there is alot of room to step in and make a mark in my opinion. If I can do it my belief is that anyone can. I would say if you can't stand out from the folks that are at the bridal show already then it is probably not worth your time....unelss there are just that many brides that is doesn't matter if you stand out or not. One this is for certain if you come this way you probably will not have as much competition, but you would have to check as that obviously changes from year to year. --mike

manuel - if you weren't impressed iwth the quality, that's GREAT. that means an opportunity for you :-)

I see too many photogs who think that they can just shoot ISO 400, f8 and 1/125th with direct flash all day long with one body and one flash, burn directly to JPG and think they are the best out there...yikes.