Outdoors digital camera with viewfinder

<p>My friend is going on vatcation and I like to know where can I find a outdoors digital camera:shockproof and waterproof with a viewfinder? I know the current camera companies like Olympus or Panasonic don't make them anymore so I like some suggestions as soon as possible. Hope for replies.</p>

<p>While there are several companies that make waterproof/shockproof cameras (Panasonic and Olympus come to mind quickly), I don't think any of them come with viewfinders. You may be asking for something that doesn't exist, unless you want to go to big expense and buy a DSLR and a waterproof case for it. Why not just learn to shoot with the LCD instead of worrying about a viewfinder?</p>

<p>Even if you could find a camera with a viewfinder, most of them on point and shoots are horrible. They don't cover but 80% of the scene and have terrible parallex errors. As stated above, learn to use the LCD. I use a Nikon P7100 and now hardly use the viewfinder opting instead to use the LCD. By the way, if you're shooting macro the viewfinder on all point and shoots is totally useless.</p>

<p>If he wants a bombproof camera it is hard to beat the old film Nikonos V. I have tried a number of digital - waterproof compacts in a white water Kayak and find that none are very robust - they usually work 2-5 times then give up. My Nikonos (although Film) has taken incredible abuse over the last 15 years and just keeps on working. I have concluded that short of buying an expensive Ilkelite enclosure I will just keep scanning film. Here is a link for Nikonos http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/htmls/models/htmls/nikonos.htm<br>

Alternatively I have seen more durability for the video camera in a box type solution - Go pro or similar. they appear to survive better but are limited photographically. None of these or the digital compacts I have seen have a viewfinder. You can buy an Ikelite enclosure and a CSC or Compact (G1 Nikon 7100 etc...) but the enclosure is about $1000 and the compact will be $500+.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Why not learn to "point and shoot" but use the LCD for when it is essential for accurate framing. There are a number of optical viewfinders [Olympus Panasonic & others? ] which you could glue onto the camera .... then there is the old fashioned but excellent in use 'Wire Finder'.<br />Some were not wire but flat metal and folded down when not in use.<br />Glue an epoxy protected matchbox to camera?<br>

I have followed all those suggestions from time to time over the years :-)</p>

<p>There are some situations where the LCD isn't adequate for composing. I've been trying a compact P&S digicam with one of the best LCDs around and while it's generally excellent it's been completely useless in one specific situation: with the camera vertically oriented while I'm wearing polarizing sunglasses. It completely blacks out the view.</p>

<p>It's also less useful than an optical finder when shooting directly into a low angle sun or other very contrasty backlit situation. It works but not well. Cranking up the LCD brightness helps but also drains the battery more quickly. An important consideration for some situations where it isn't practical to swap batteries.</p>

<p>In both cases I've misframed shots or missed them altogether while trying to make adjustments to compensate for the inability to use the LCD effectively.</p>