OP responded politely to my complaint, agreeing to contact NSA on my

behalf. However, the weasel-worded communications left me suspicious

that this was an intentional ploy to sell more subscriptions. I've

been hesitant about posting this, but publishers should be "outed"

for lending their names to this practice. (Google makes it clear that

subscription shakedowns aren't a new phenomenon.) Has anyone else

received similar treatment from OP or its <a

href="http://www.wernerpublishing.com/">sister publications</a>, or

perhaps my case just an isolated incident?

This sounds rather familiar. The same thing happened to me several years ago. I don't remember the exact details, but I think it was OP. There could be an archived thread on this lurking in the depths of photo.net somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Maybe it was deleted.

I remember it took me quite a few rounds of email exchange to get the whole thing sorted out and I got several notices from the debt collection agency.

I couldn't 100% positively swear it was Outdoor Photographer, but I'm pretty sure it was. It's one of the few magazines I used to subscribe to but cancelled.

It happened to me just a few months ago! I also let my subscription lapse, then suddenly got a notice from NSA. I called OP and told them about the situation, they then "cancelled" my subscription.

If my credit rating gets hurt by this, I'm complaining to the BBB and my state's (CA) Dept. of Consumer Affairs.

David, better yet apply for a loan and hope they turn you down. Then sue them for damage to your credit rating. I gave up on OP years ago their office was a real mess. I subscribed and sent a check for payment. They cashed it and claimed I never pay them. I had to get a copy of the canceled check and send it in to straighten it all out. Needless to say when that subscription expired I didn't renew it. I want nothing further to do with them.

David, OP told me that NSA doesn't report to the credit bureaus.

Trying to pick the pockets of outgoing customers is downright sleazy. I'm betting that this fraudulent collection tactic violates or teeters on the edge of several federal and state statutes, but the hassle of enforcement/lawsuits isn't worth it, of course. Maybe a few complaints will shame publishers into better behavior. Thanks for responding.

Read the renewal junk mail sent by OP closely. I just got renewal notices for another, non-photography magazine and noticed in fine print that unless one specifically cancelled their subscription, it would be automatically renewed and the receipent get billed. I thought that was pretty tricky. I wonder if OP is now trying a similar tactic...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an OP subscriber and somehow ended up with a subscription to

Backpacker Magazine, a sister magazine. I've also received bills that I've

tossed in the trash. I can only assume that they used some type of "negative

checkoff" to claim I asked for a subscription (meaning they sent a notice that I

would have had to reply negatively to in order to refuse the subscription).

• 2 months later...

About Outdoor Photographer magazine...

I buy individual issues at the bookstore... too often, there are only 1 or 2 articles that I'm interested in... if there is a really good issue, I'll buy it; but I usually just read the one or two good articles at the bookstore.

I used to subscribe to photography magazines, but I got tired of 70% of the magazine not being of interest to me...

wildography

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm on hold at the moment, waiting to speak to Outdoor Photographer's collection agent, North Shore Agency, Inc. I just received a notice in the mail yesterday, to which I'm responding. Having paid for a one-year subscription back in February of 2007, and having received a dozen issues, I tossed every renewal solicitation I subsequently recieved, without responding. Now they want $14.97 or they're going to make my life miserable. I'm going to contact my state attorney general's office no matter how this unwinds. It may be common, but not in my experience. Shame on Outdoor Photographer. How desperate are they?

Mike

Well, that was like expecting to lift a heavy bowling ball bag only to discover it's empty. After being on hold for about 15 minutes, a representative of North Shore Agency (Rochelle) came on the line, asked for some information with which to identify me, told me the Outdoor Photographer wants $14.97, and asked me to define my intentions. I told her I had paid for and received 12 issues, subsequently throwing every renewal solicitation in the trash, and she said: "No problem. I'll close this account. You shouldn't receive any further correspondence from us, but if you do, please disregard it." I'm still incensed that Outdoor Photogapher forced me to jump through this hoop. Stay tuned for my followup regarding my report to the state attoney general's office.

Mike

Kudos, its time someone stood up to these tactics.....

Here is another tactic OP does.... they keep sending you magazines after your subscription expires....then, you decide to renew your subscription, say for 24 issues...you expect 24 months of magazines, but they deduct all the ones they sent you when your previous subscription expired, so you may only get 12 total, then they start the renewal process over again.... I find them so annoying, I may discontinue the magazine, specially after reading these posts....

• 1 year later...

<p>Outdoor Photography Magazine and Digital Photography Magazine are one in the same.</p>

<p>I ordered a 1 year subscription for my nephew, as a gift, and paid online. This was in January of 2010. So the subscription doesn't end until Feb/Mar of 2011!</p>

<p>On April 14th, my bank account was billed AGAIN for that same subscription! I called my bank, because I didn't understand the charge, then realized it was from the photography magazine. I called the magazine and they said they would issue a credit. Back and forth trying to get the funds released and "Christine" at DPM says that we don't keep your CC info on file and your account is not set to renew, blah, blah, blah. So, I keep asking how did the order come in? Was it through the internet? She had my email and that was all and said it was an order - but had no other information. Well, someone is lying.....and it's not me!</p>

<p>I am enraged to know that they can just go and charge me whenever they feel like it and now I must wait almost a week for them to issue a credit for a charge I NEVER AUTHORIZED! Now, I am changing my bank card because they have no way of reassuring me that this wont happen again. </p>

<p>I would not recommend and NEVER will make another purchase from this scam of a company again. And plan on reporting the Attorney General.</p>

• 2 years later...

<p>Scam: Outdoor Photographer Subscriptions http://www.photographersubscriptions.com/. I'd paid on 2/13/2013. 2 months passed, I called Outdoor Photographer magazine customer service. I'd subscribe nothing. so it is a scam.<br>

please do not subscribe from<br>

http://www.photographersubscriptions.com/. they just collect money from you. so</p>

<p>www.photographersubscriptions.com is scam</p>