outdated film results part 2

<p>Just finished scanning negatives from a roll of APX 100 size 120 film that was part of the film I received from Soeren during the summer. Although the film is about 10 years out of date it had been refrigerated and it tolerated the trip across the pond well. I exposed the film in my Fujica GS 645 S and processed the film in Kodak HC110 dilution B for the recommended time of 7' @ 68 deg. Fahrenheit. Very little fog was present.<br>

A few test shots from Labor Day weekend.</p><div>00coC0-550905584.jpg.b38e5bf906e492b04aaa7c2238978145.jpg</div>

<p>Lots of people out enjoying the milder than usual temperatures. Clouds kept temperatures down and shutter speeds at either 1/125 or 1/60 second.<br>

The GS645 S was a good choice even though its maximum aperture is only f4. The mostly cloudy bright conditions generally allowed from f5.6 to f8 for most images. Strictly speaking the GS645 S might be more at home in the modern film cameras forum because it was made in the 80's, but at least it is fully mechanical with battery only needed for light meter. Anyway the focus was on the film rather than the camera. I'm splitting the remaining 8 rolls of APX 100 with my son (he has a Yashicamat 124G). I may "feed" my stock to my Rolleicord III.</p><div>00coC8-550906084.jpg.71926784439a753635b513465cf541c1.jpg</div>

<p>Earlier that morning we had some sun and were treated to an outdoor concert. One member of the band is local (graduated from high school with my oldest son). I cropped this image for better composition. The Fujinon lens and the relatively fine grain handled the crop well.</p><div>00coCA-550906184.jpg.6821f3897e7a0bc0293819679874028c.jpg</div>

<p>The day before Prairie Arts Festival (and Labor Day) I was on my way to work and stopped to take this photo. The person whom this building is named after was (and still is) a big promoter and influence on the Prairie Art Festival. The building, btw, was once a furniture store.</p><div>00coCE-550906284.jpg.4c6e2bf955bc0179beb5306f9aaf7f29.jpg</div>

<p>APX 100 is not particularly fine grained for a film of its speed. I did not like using it in 35mm size. Its qualities are better suited for medium format work. I must still have some in my freezer somewhere. The Fuji is a reasonably light and small camera. When I carry a Mamiya M645 1000S with a prism finder and the right hand power winder and a lens it feels much too heavy to only be a 645 camera. </p>

<p>Thanks, Alan. I was fortunate that there was some local activity to photograph. Most weekends there isn't much going on. Thanks, Rick. I'd forgotten how well this film renders, but as Jeff correctly pointed out, it's not the finest grain of the ISO 100 films. When I used to shoot the 35mm version of this I either processed in Rodinal or Patterson FX-39. There are three Fujica GS cameras, the S which has a 60mm f4, the original GS 645 which has a 75mm f3.4 (it folds up), and a scale focusing GS 645 W, which has a 45mm f5.6. All have match diode metering. Thanks, Louis. Never shot much outdated color, except back in the 80's when I happened on some outdated Kodachrome 25. Again, very true about the grain, Jeff. If I ever get more of this in 35mm I'll have to see how it does in Kodak HC110. Thanks, JDM. Of course, the slower films stand up better (as in my earlier posts with Panatomic-X). <br>

One caveat: the Agfa film seems to curl a bit more than the Kodak, Fuji, and Ilford films I've used in 120. Twice when scanning the APX 100 "jumped the track" on the negative holder, but not too hard to put it back.</p>

<p>Thanks, Subbarayan. Nice to hear from you. Prairie Arts Festival was once much larger (even more food vendors, more crafts vendors, several live bands). This the 35th year of the Festival. Back when my family had a camera shop we would display 5x7 photos on the shop window panes of past festivals. Most photos were of people. I still have all the pictures. I miss those days.</p>

<p>Thanks, Soeren. My oldest son is also excited since I'm sharing the film with him. Next up is testing a roll of the Ilford Pan F+. I've used this film before, but it has been several years so I'm looking forward to trying it again. <br>

Good luck with stocking up with BW 400CN. I suspect there are some vendors that have a decent stock. Ilford offers a similar film, but from my limited experience it has a different look (not sure which is better). I do find that printing from the Ilford negatives in a conventional darkroom to be easier than printing from BW 400 CN. Never tried scanning the Ilford C41, but the last time I shot BW 400CN, the scans from the 1 hour lab looked really nice.</p>