out door wedding photography

carl_williams1

Hello There

I was asked to photograph a out door wedding. What film should I

use, and what lens should? I have a minolta 800si a 135mm 2.8, 50mm

1.7 both are minolta. I also have sigma 28-105 . It will take place

in a park at about 5:00pm ,and hopefully in some shade.

Hi Carl,

I am not a wedding photographer, but I do a lot of photography and enter contests. I have a minolta with lenses similiar to yours. If I were doing the wedding I would use the zoom lense because of the flexibility it offers. I do not think you want to be changing lenses all the time. The 135 would be nice to use for a few portraits, but if you are shooting a lot of the action, I would use the zoom.

The film I would use is Fuji NPS - either 400 or 800 speed. It is a very good film for rendering skin tones.

Good luck.

Steve Jones

Jeez, I really do hate to be the one with the cup half empty, but, if you have to ask these types of questions, are you sure you're up to it? Does your customer know? Or have you set their expectations accordingly?

What happen if your camera fails? Do you have a backup? Do you have a flash for fill in case of shadows at that time? Outside at that time, are you aware of backlighting and possible foreground/background contrast issues?

Luck to you.

That Sigma 28-105 isn't the f/2.8-4 version is it? That's one sick lens. Soft at the wide end, soft at the long end and soft any time the aperture is open. If you have to use it, keep it stopped down and don't zoom near the ends. Wedding pictures are too important to ruin with a poor lens. The other Sigma zooms in this range aren't much better.

Anyway, for film, my choices would be: If the Sun is shining, use Fuji Superia Reala 100 (Not regular Superia). If it's not Fuji NPS (160) or NPH (400), depending on how much light you have.

I would replace the lens with something better. Tamron's 24-135 would be a good choice.

I would agree with Jim... Fuji Reala rocks.. NPH if it isn't bright outside. Although I use Reala right up until I can't get at least a 2.8 reading on my meter. Make sure the lab understands how to develop Reala film.

Regarding Keith's comment: maybe it's not about "customers". Maybe it's just a friend. Not everybody is doin' it for the money, especially an amateur photographer hobbyist (like myself) - from the not-too-fancy equipment (no medium format, no 85mm f/1.4 G lens) and question you could have noticed that it's not a professional approach so i guess it's more like "okay i'll do it for you, it will be a nice exercise for me too". Correct me if i'm wrong, Carl.

Regarding Jim's comment: I have exactly the same 3 lenses. You might have your own experience with your 2.8-4 sigma but mine works quite fine. Optically i found it quite good, -it's a bit sloppy built tho'. But I think it fits its price well.

If you do just informal shooting in the crowd, I suggest the zoom. Otherwise the 50 and the 135 are IMO quite well complementing each other...and they certainly are of better quality and more flexible (DOF etc.). Don't be lazy to change them from time to time, they are small and lightweight to carry. You can't capture all the nice moments anyway. Not even with the zoom.

Just my oppinion up here. Have a good light!

Hello Everyone:

I have done some portraits outside, and I do have a backup camera a XTsi with a 3500xi flash. I also have a 5400HS for my 800si.The park has a lot of trees so there will be a lot of shade so I know I'll have to fill flash.And I am doing this for a friend the cost of film, batt.. I really want to use the 50mm & 135mm as much as i can. Now my 28-105 is not that bad a lens maybe not best, but it's ok .I believe that you can never have too much info. thanks for the film choices. I've shot outside before just not a wedding.

Carl, From viewing your folder it's obvious you are an experienced photographer. Film choice is easy, NPH. (Reala is a good choice also but, since I sense weddings are not a common undertaking for you, in the interests of simplicity chose ONE) Use the zoom for most shots & the 50mm prime for group shots where critical sharpness is more important. The comment on carrying a backup camera is valid. Keep the variables down to minimize the number of things that can go wrong. Whether you are being paid or not, your friends are probably expecting their wedding photos to be of the same quality as your other work they have seen. Best, LM.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...