Ouch! Now it HAS to go in for service...

andrew1

So I managed to drop my 90mm Elmarit-M the other day. I was out shooting, and had a camera

over my shoulder (unforgiveably stupid, since I have been suspicious of the mount on this body

lately, as it sometimes feels less then rock solid). As I brought the camera around to grab a shot,

of course the lens slipped off and took a hard dive four feet to the

pavement. It landed on the rear corner, near the mount, and bounced end over end, whacking the

front end on the retractable hood. The glass looks fine, but there are now some serious scars on

the exterior of the lens, and most alarmingly, the focus ring will not move- it's frozen at

infinity.<p> I have been putting off sending the body in for service. I kept wanting to wait until a

slow period when I can afford to be down a body for a while. I just check obssesively to make sure

lenses feel solidly clicked on, and keep putting off sending it in. Clearly, I waited too long.

So now that the worst has happened, I'll be sending the lens and the body in, but I wonder if you

folks who have experience this kind of

damage can tell me- can it be repaired, or is this lens now an expensive paper-weight? Should I

send it to DAG, Sherry, Leica NJ? Or someone else? Any thoughts on who is the best with

damaged lenses? I've looked in the archives, but I've not found much about lenses with jammed

helicals, so I don't know what to expect.

Years ago I almost had the same happen w/ my 35mm Cron on my M4-P. Fortunately I checked the mounting before anything did happen. These days I habitually double check for a secure mount and check the M-handle for tightness as well. Thing is now I have a 35mm Lux I'd hate to drop. Good Luck.

Had a similar thing happen to my 35mm cron. In this act of stuipidity the whole camera and

lens went flying. Lens took the hit and bent the focus ring. I sent it to John. He machined

the ring for about $200 bucks. If it had required a new part it would have been $600.

Give him a call. Hes great to chat with and does excellent work.

www.focalpointlens.com