Other Flash Brands?

teneson

<p>Before I settle on the 580EXII Speedlite, are there any other brands that offer the same level of dedicated functions? I have not been keeping up with flash technology, but now that I'm also going to be doing concerts and festivals, the need has come about once again. The camera I'll be using is the 5D MkII, and I'll be needing at least a guide number 180 (@ 100 iso).<br>

Thanks;<br>

Mark B. </p>

<p>I need the flash to be able to send exposure information to the camera, including focusing-assist. I also need automatic balanced fill-flash, tilting & swiveling head, + - ev, pre-flash for red-eye reduction & exposure calculation, and manual mode. </p>

<p>Mark,</p>

<p>I ask because I shoot concerts and festivals. I was interested in how you were intending using it. I use up to six 550EX's, about a third the price as a 580EX II and just as versatile. But truth is the vast majority of the time both camera and flash are on manual so no fancy dodads needed. I could quite easily work with non Canon functionality for this kind of work, I keep buying 550's to maintain HSS for sports work. What camera are you using? My 1 series' never need focus assist, red eye reduction is only for dead head on looking into the eyes shots, very rare in concerts, and two seconds to correct in post. Auto fill flash in constantly changing lighting just does not work well with Canon, if I was relying on that I'd seriously think about getting a Nikon.</p>

<p>So, if you will allow me to play devils advocate, with manual power controls, a decent AF body and a tilt and swivel head, the strobist world is your oyster! Not saying don't get the 580EX II, but it is a lot of money for a small strobe with many features that might not be as useful as you might hope. Several smaller strobes in strategic positions wirelessly triggered might be a better option. Besides with photokina just around the corner, and a 802 wireless banded 680EX rumoured, I'd wait for another week at least.</p>

<p>Hope this helps, Scott.</p>

<p>I'll second the Metz suggestion. I don't have the 58AF, but I do have its little brother, the 48AF - it's about equivalent to the 430EX, and I've had great results with it. It's been replaced by the 50AF, but I'm sure the new one is also up to the job. They've all got the features you need.</p>

<p>Gil, I was hoping Metz would have something similar. I'll look into the 58AF1c. Thank you!<br />Hi Scott; the camera I'm using is the 5DMkII. The price of a 580EXII really has me backpedaling for other options. Is the 550 still in production? Now I have at least the 550 and the Metz 58AF1c to research as possible alternatives. Or even the 680EX.<br />I'm really disappointed that Canon's automated fill lighting isn't so good. In that case, a variable output feature is something I'll have to have on the flash. Thank you Scott and Gil :)</p>

<p>Mark,<br>

Since adding a 7D to my Pentax-based toolset, I too have been considering the 580EX II and alternatives. I've used the Metz 58 AF1 with my Pentax K20D for the past two years with excellent results. Metz has just updated this model for all platforms to the AF2C designation, but I don't see it available through retail dealers yet. The upgraded features and functions are probably worth waiting for including a metal base, and most importantly, moving the wireless sensor to the front middle (as opposed to the front side with the AF1).</p>

<p>I've also gotten good results with the secondary lamp for fill purposes. The menus are not the easiest to navigate through, but after a month or so you learn.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>The 550EX is nolonger made, but there are plenty of used copies available. I think I still perfer the 550EX's user interface. The one thing I like about the latest 580EXII over the 550EX is the recycle time. The 550EX used to seem quick enough, but now I'm spoiled. But if you add an external high voltage battery pack (Canon CP-E4) they are virtually the same.</p>

<p>Sigma and others make lower cost compaitble flash units, but there have been compaints about reliability and exposure accuracy. I used to have a Sigma EF430 Super, and was reelatively pleased with it, but it always felt cheap compared to the Canon flashes.</p>