OT: what's in your cd player?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cafe Del Mar sounds very nice, I've heard bits and pieces but never got around to it. Hopefully I will soon.

I was just thinking of putting the Jurassic Park score into the CD-ROM drive but maybe I'll save that for later - got other stuff to do now.

One of the great finds of these past few months has been the extended 'unofficial' Blade Runner soundtrack, taking up two CDs. I have recently aquired a compilation of Depeche Mode's earlier stuff which I found I didn't like.

I've discovered some Bach which I find suprisingly pleasant. And I've found more of Nils Petter Molvaer's dreamy, rich electro-jazz, particularly the 'Recoloured' album. Good, good stuff.

For something really smooth and moody, try Vangelis's Invisible Connections late at night with the lights off.

CD player? What's that? Fortunately about 2 miles up the road there's a place called Bluenote Records. Vinyl, amazingly enough! Mostly, though, I don't listen to much music at home, and my local Starbucks is big on playing old blues, as well as folkies like Bob Dylan mixed with some light classic rock.

Good question Matt; makes us more rounded.

A double disk of Aretha Franklin, re-release of her work in the 1960's. "A Queen in Waiting" it think. Chopin's Etudes and other works, played by V. Horowitz. A live recording which retains some mistakes according to the notes.

My wife's new car, an Acura TSX, has XM radio as standard. It has music that even my teenagers have never heard of...

PS to Al - I sold my turntable last year as my new amp has no phono input. But I still can't part with my albums, scratches and pops and all. An emotional tie to my youth?

Right this second? Adam Masterson, an English singer-songwriter.

More generally, have listened to a lot of Sigur Ros lately, been getting back into the Happy Mondays and Placebo too, while rediscovering the glories of Gorecki's Three Sorrowful Songs and Faure's Requiem!

So a bit of everything really!

Hmmm. Just realised that for me recently it's all about getting back into stuff I've owned for a while rather than getting anything new. Must mean I'm getting old!

B.L.U.E. (Bill Bruford, Tony Levin, David Torn, Chris Botti), Mike Doughty (leadman from Soul Coughing), Les Claypool (bassman from Primus), Harry Connick Jr., Bjork, Dave Mathews Band (The Central Park Concert 3 CD set), Jeff Buckely, Everything but the Girl, Delirium, Kate Bush, Sarah McLachlan, Tori Amos, Music from Snatch (the movie), The Cure, Eminem, PJ Harvey, Rage against the Machine, Miles Davis, Jimi Hendrix

It's actually all in my MP3 Player, but from my CD collection at home.

New Candi Staton compilation (the soul stuff), Shakti 'Saturday night in Mumbai', Tom Waits 'Real Gone', The Kaiser Chiefs, Wilco and absolutely anthing I can get my hands on by Gillian Welch. I am also listening very carefully to the shutter speeds on my 'new' M3, test roll TODAY - hi-fi OFF - out the door. Have a good weekend everyone, Johnny.