[OT] Ronald Reagan portrait on Time and Newsweek--what's up?

Here's a funny one. If you're registered with the NYT online, check out here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/08/business/media/08mag.html

You've probably seen as I have the Time Special Edition and Newsweek covers apparently

using the same Michael Evans photo. The above article is about both magazines choosing

the same single image.

Today I stood and looked at both covers, side by side, and I noticed something funny. The

background on one image is shifted a bit as compared to the other. This is visible

comparing elements of the out-of-focus areas behind and to either side of the former

president's face.

It seems that only one or two things could be happening: either A) the photographer took

the picture at the identical moment with identical lens and aperture from two different

cameras, one slightly to the left of the other, or B) somebody in one of the magazines took

and shoved parts of the canonical picture around in photoshop.

You can see one cover here:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/archive/covers/0,16641,1101040614,00.html

And the other, here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5145917/site/newsweek/site/newsweek/

Now compare particularly the blob of bokeh to the right of Reagan's neck and ear, above

his left shoulder. In the Newsweek picture, it's further from his ear than in the Time

picture.

Might just be toning, you say? I thought so too, but looking at the image up close on the

newsstand, particularly, it's easy to see that there are shapes in the light area that are

apparently identical in both versions--just that one is closer than the other.

Before you jump all over me, promise you'll have a good look in person at the images. I'm

really curious what might have been the motive for changing this, if in fact it was changed.

If it wasn't, and there is some other explanation, I am super curious how it might have

occurred.

Any ideas?

I'd post the images inline here, but I'm a bit squeamish about infringing the copyright.

I'm sure nothing was changed. The Newsweek shot is reproduced in higher contrast and has much less shadow detail. (See for example, the inside of his collar on the left). The less-bright portion of the highlight has simply gone black in the Newsweek version.

The only thing strange about the color balance would be if two magazines got it the same.

Mark: You are not looking closely enough. The change is there. Look at the blob of bokeh

on the lower right. Each picture has a basically identical 'structure' of two diagonal lines (in

other words, it's not just an indistinguished blob) and this distinct structure is closer in

one picture than in the other.

Gary: It seems likely that Photoshop played a part in what I believe I'm seeing, but if so...

why? What motivation? Scanning, converting to CMYK, and tweaking colors and levels and

even pointed individual toning--none of these normal operations would have the effect I'm

trying (apparently unsuccessfully) to identify.

But if you look critically at the two images, I'm betting you'll see them too.

Ellis: What part of normal scanning or printing could move parts of the picture around

relative to the rest of it?

There are other differences, like one picture is softer than the other. The color balance is a

lot different. One's credited to the

Reagan Library collection (I think it was), and the other to a picture agency. But none of

these facts explains the structural diffence between the pictures.

I don't imagine anything sinister is going on--it's just an anomaly and I'm super curious as

to why it might be so.

What's interesting is that the Time shot is much smoother than the Newsweek but the Life cover is more like the Newsweek version. And the big TV Guide cover is a harsher version.

My guess is production variations; if editorial additions there would have been either be a halo or horns.