OT: Pantyhose for classic diffusion.

I know it's a little off topic, but I know that there are some

cinematographers who hang out on this forum and portrait photographers.

I'm going to be shooting some tests on 35mm and I wanted to see if

anyone here had any experience using pantyhose mounted on the rear

element of the lens.

What kinds should I test out for that classic diffusion look and how

do I attach them to the rear element. Do I need to get them from

France, do I need to attach them to the back of my Arriflex lens with

"snot tape"

Any websites would be helpful.

thanks, je

It has been quite a few years, but I have used pantyhose on the front element for diffusion with B&W - just screw a UV filter onto a section of the nylons. It works very well producing a high quality soft "glow." But I would mind the color of the nylons if I were going to try it with color film. Unless someone else has some experience with this you may want to experiment with it.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

I have found that the cine pros take a step up ring stretch the hose over it and paint the edge with clear nail polish. When dry the hose is trimmed and you have a wonderful soft focus filter.

There is one particulat type of hose that many of the industry leading cameremen used to use. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

Good luck.

Black pantyhose will give you a softening without adding a color tint. It also won't make the photo look so lacking in overall contrast. On the downside you'll have to open up the diaphragm a bit to make up for lost light. Another trick is to shoot with a large aperture but have a hole in the center of the pantyhose "filter". This was usually burned into the mesh with a cigarette. This also keeps it from unravelling. With a 90/2.8 lens wide open try a half to 3/4 inch hole (12 to 18mm). The bigger the hole the more subtle the diffusion. Another possibility is a piece of window screening.

Jason go to( http://www.garageglamour.com/tips/articles/scarf.php )while you are there you may as well look around there is a lot of eye candy and a ton of articles on glamor photography. There are some serious pros there guys who shoot for Playboy, People,TV guide to name only a few. However if there was ever a place where a Leica range finder shortfalls become blatantly evident it's there.

Unless you can acquire a "used" set of pantyhose < grin >, go to the supermarket and pick up a new pair of calf-sized hose. Cheaper and cleaner - - and you can get the color you think will serve your purpose.

Seriously, I've used nylon stockings for your stated purpose for years. I've retrieved them when my spouse has discarded them due to runs, and I've stretched them over step-up rings.

Forget the rear element. Use them as a unique filter on the front.

George (The 82 year-old Fud)

In addition to what Al said, you can also use white pantyhose. The difference is that the white will also soften the contrast along with the sharpness, by radiating some diffuse white light into the scene. It may be just right for some shots, too much for others.

A steady supply for white panty hose can be obtained by making very good friends with a nurse.

When you consider what some of the folks on this forum are likely to be paying for a top brand multi-coated haze filter the cost of a pair of brand new pantyhose doesn't seem too horribly outrageous. If you're going to do something like spritz some hair spray directly on the filter then a beat up old used one will do as well.

Panty hose is pretty heavy diffusion. Tule netting used for making bridal veils in black or white is more course and closer to what you need. You can double up the LARGE netting making the intersecting points in different areas for an interdediate effect.

Paint the black with MATT flat spray paint.

Works best on the back side of the lens. A few dabs of rubber cement will keep it in place and it will be removeable. These were commercially made for Hassy 150`s at one time.

Buy the 120 mm Imagon if you want it for a Leica and can find one. BIG if though.

Double layer on an embroidery hoop used under the enlarger for 15-50% of the enlarging time works well. With subtle effects, it is not as bad as Al warns us. Saved my a.. once when I did some portraits with a Hassy 150. UGLY pics and she was a good looking girl. There must be some pro tricks to make this stuff look good. RB`s with the 180 is same stuff. The 150 soft focus was a great lens, but I sold it to get Leicas.

Nothing is as good as a real soft focus lens no matter what. Tried it all. Imagon is the amswer. IMHO better than the Fuji`s offering.

RE: Zeiss Softars--still being made by Heliopan-www.heliopan.de-click on Produkte,then at left on Zeiss Softar. HP Marketing sells them in the USA. RE: Rodenstock Imagon lens--Still being made by them,but just for large format cameras-they used to maske them for 35mm,my Uncle has one in a Leica M mount,which he will not part with for any price. Hope this information is of some help to you.

The Imagon was never "made for 35mm" - just look at their focal lengths. However, there were mount adapters to enable their use on 35mm cameras. I am not sure whether the lenses can be adapted for cine cameras. AFAIK they are no longer made.

The Zeiss Softar, like the Imagon, softens the image by spherical aberration. It's much more flexable because you retain instant control of the aperture. The softening effect does not vary (or at least not notieably) with aperture either.