OT: New direction for Cosina products

chip l.

In addition to a silver Bessa TM SLR body; it looks like Cosina is

moving towards recreating classic lenses. Their first is a Topcor

58mm f/1.4 from the old Topcon cameras. I seem to remember that this

lens had many a fan.

I wonder if this means that we might see lens from the golden age of

the RF being remade?

Does anyone care? Who knows. I do know that Mr. Kobayashi is a very smart businessman. I hear that he will not make a product without being SURE that is will make it's costs back.

I'm sure there are a pile of Topcon and Pentax spotmatic users out there going "Who would use a 35mm pancake lens?".

Yeah, if they came out with a Miranda body and the auto Exacta adapter we could use all those great dirt cheap Carl Zeiss Jena Auto Flektagons (20/4,25/4,35/2.8) and Auto Sonnars (180/2.8, 300/4).

I guess the next thing will be for Cosina to start remaking classic films, like Panatomic-X, Super Double-X, and Kodachrome II. How about some DuPont SX Pan? And the greatest variable contrast paper ever made, DuPont Varilour in the double weight semi-gloss finish BTW.

It appears that Mr. Kobayashi is more interested in the M42, Nikon AI, Leica SM and LM lenses doing a Topcon or Exacta body and mount.

What is more interesting the thought of old lens designs that have a following finding it possible to put those newly designed lenses on newer bodies (Bessa TM and Nikon FM series). Is it possible that we might see some of the better Vivitar Series One lenses make a welcomed return? Could the Nikon 45GN see a new life? And for Leica users could the Thumbar see a return?

Alex,

You have seen the link. I check there from time to time to see if there is anything new and exciting on the Leica front. Rumors from PMA 2003 was for a new RF late in the year. Mr. Kobayashi doesn't have much time left for that announcement. Steve G. indicated that it would be unique. To me that means either a half frame or something with a zoom (aka Contax G2) finder.

Chip

Stephen Gandy or cameraquest.com wrote the following today on Topica's

Voigtlander discussion group:

<p>

<i> the Cosina made Topcor is a copy of the original 58/1.4 Topcor, made in

either Pentax 42 screw mount or Nikon AI mount. Mr. K went to Topcon and

made a deal to license the name and the old optical formula. <p>

production 800 of each lens.    price is $299 for the lens, same price for

the silver body. expected availability middle to late December.<p>

so far as I know the silver Bessaflex will be made only in 42mm screw mount,

but obviously other mounts are possible. <p>

</i>

Chip,

This is really good info. I did go to the link and see the lens: 58.1.4 Topcor. Funny that this cannot be got to via the regular Cosina website.

I think I know what the next camera will be. Today is the 20th here in Japan. The new photo magazines should be out. It might be there.

One of the things that strikes me in responses is the lack of comments from those that would like to see other old lenses in the M42/Nikon AI.Leica SM/LM mounts. There is a renewed interest in BW photography; so older lenses with they right characteristics or Bokeh might have a valid market.

Is there a market for an updated Sumarit 50/1.4? I know that for myself; the single focal length Vivitar lenses would be a welcomed addition.

I guess it boils down to "boutique" lenses have a place in the market. Much like the limited production cars/trucks like the Mini, Subaru Baja, or any of the others.

Bruno,

One thing that you have to understand about Mr. Kobayashi is that he looks at the larger market and the production capabilities that he has. Currently there is no body that Cosina produces that would meet the demands of of Leica CL. As I mentioned in a previous post Mr. Kobayashi uses the capabilities that he has in order to meet the demands of his factory and the consumer. that would indicate IMHO that half frame or a zoome finder based on the R2 is a better bet. The other speculation would be a Tele Leica; geared towards those that use th 90+ focal length. Given Leica's announcement of the 90TEM that seems to have a valid place in the market place.

Chip

I understand what you are saying but it seems to me, given that we are talking about a smallish marketplace, where for instance Cosina have kept the ball rolling by regularly bringing out further products, that there is room for them to introduce a smaller M (or screw) mount body, which of course would be another platform for their lenses,and which would hopefully improve sales and continue to attract attention to their products.

After all they introduced the Bessa-L, and I don't think they could have sold that many of those, and I'm sure a new CL would prove to be a better seller?

Regards

Bruno