section. Install it an run, it works pretty good, on newer

machines it takes about 30 minutes or so to run, depending on the

number of files to inspect.

Gerry

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do not use anything by micro soft! they put their own gawd dam spyware on your computer. the only program out there that doesn't is the adaware se 105 from www.lavasoftusa.com

the other thing you can do is use mozilla firefox. i've had no spy ware or pop ups since surfing with it. get rid of explorer, they used to be the only game in town and didn't really give a crap.

I use Netscape's browser, AdAware, and Spybot Search & Destroy--I get no popups, and the few bits of spyware I pick up are quickly eradicated. All those programs are free. I see no reason to replace them with a product from a company that has a long history of producing bug-ridden, non-secure software.

<I>...please recognize that the reason it doesn't have a spyware issue is that it makes up

just a few percent of the market - not enough to entice hackers.</I><P>

Of course and that's just fine with me. As far as stability issues mentioned, with OS X, 3

machines running almost 3 years with no reboots/crashes. And no virus and spyware

issues as well.

www.citysnaps.net

Mike, Firefox is made by the brains from Netscape. It's an open source piece of software, small, and has many cool features. And no spyware has been getting through. I thought my adaware was corupte the first time. Give it a shot, you can always uninstal.

I used to be all for Mac, but not being able to open the thing up and hop it up at will or upgrade just this just that, began to bug me. A properely built PC from scratch by someone in the know is my prefered route now.

>Stephen Gomes , jan 12, 2005; 09:31 p.m.

>Yes, Mac..no problems, except the horrid interface,

Bwaaaaaaahahahaha! Just mouse on down to the "START" button to turn Windoze off...

>equal or worse stability to WinXP

Please! Restrict your comments to something you ACTUALLY know about...

>and significantly higher prices.

Not when you have to add in all the things that the Mac already has.

Downloaded your 6,000, 456th lack-of-security patch lately??

Ian, that particular Mac model was actually announced yeterday.

Moreover, anyone claiming "significantly" higher

prices for equaivalently-configured Mac and high-end PC systems is just as ignorant

today as they would have been a year ago.

Stephen and Brett - The reason that current Macs are relatively immune to adware, spyware and virii is that the OS is a specialized version of the Berkeley Unix. It's damned difficult to penetrate a Unix enviornment at the root level unless you, as the administrator, have screwed up royally.

Unfortunately, Microsoft's eagerness to populate the universe with their OS has left Windows users with holes big enough to drive through - - - and the hackers have been doing that. When security patch after patch after patch after patch after patch has been required to shore up an OS against invasion, one must simply reasom that the code was seriously flawed.

The rationale for a Mac is its sophisticated OS, which has been developed as variant of the Unix open source system that has been in development by programmers, worldwide, for decades.

<p>Yup, I'm using Linux right now.</p><p>I have to say, however, that

only a brave person would choose it for photography-related purposes. If

I wanted a computer for that, I'd use either 'Doze <em>very well

separated indeed from the internet</em> or more likely Mac OS

X.</p><p>The missus has no interest whatever in computers, no

inclination to even turn the front cover of any manual (least of all one

that's computer related), probably hasn't even noticed that programs

have "Help", but had no problems switching to Mac OS X when her

previous 'Doze laptop crapped out.</p><p>As for Microsoft's spyware

removal tool, the first thing I thought of when I heard of it was "What's

in it for Microsoft?" As has been pointed out above, Lavasoft's Ad-Aware

is free of charge and easy to use. Actually the Microsoft product doesn't

sound bad, <a

href="http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/01/08/196234&threshold=1&tid=172&tid=201&tid=218">even

when discussed by people who are notably sceptical of the company's

products</a>. But why bother to keep obediently marching on the

scare/pay/upgrade Windows treadmill?</p>

Hey Eric. I downloaded Firefox and am using it now. It's certainly faster on my computer than IE. If I like it, I'll probably try to dump IE, if Bill will let me. I remember I tried to remove it once from a version of my current 4th generation rebuild and it wouldn't allow it without f..king up windoze. However I will probably keep with outlook as it has a lot of stuff in it I use.

From AP, food for thought --

"Investors seemed unimpressed...the stock may have also taken a hit because of the Mac mini, the company's new, $499 computer. Profit per machine is likely to be lower on the bare-bones mini.

Cross estimated the profit margin to be as high as 19 percent. More expensive Macs have profit margins of 25 percent or higher."