Osawa 80-205 stops shutter process

jefro

<p>Hi all - I ran a roll of film the other day for the first time in about 5 years in my AE-1. I have a few lenses in various states of repair, but one I hoped would work was an Osawa 80-205mm f/4.5. However, when I hit the shutter button, I hear the mirror go up but then nothing happens. Mirror stays up until I unscrew the lens to remove it, then it goes through the normal process - shutter open/close, mirror comes back down. At first I thought the mirror was being blocked but I don't think that is the case. The lens looks fine. The problem happens at all apertures including AE and all zoom levels.<br>

My thinking is that the aperture mechanism is stuck after years of no use. I think I paid $40 or $50 for this lens eleven years ago, and I don't think it is worth sending to a shop. Any advice on DIY repair or "oh just do this" is appreciated.<br>

I'll send another note later about my beautiful 135mm f/2.5 with broken focuser :)</p>

<p>Perhaps the aperture lever on the lens is bent, limiting the movement of the camera's stop down lever at the time of exposure. I believe that the camera's stop down lever must be at the end of its travel, fully closing the diaphragm, before the shutter is tripped.</p>

<p>Gordon - very interesting, thanks. I'll check the lever and compare it to my working lenses. I suppose it could be stuck as well. And I suppose I could take the lens apart to diagnose. <br>

Bill - I agree, I don't want to spend too much effort on it. I'm in that place of wondering whether to dump film equipment and just run with digital, where exposures don't cost 75 cents each (or more). My AE-1 and lenses all together might bring $100. Autocord might bring another $100. Hm, that's half of a cheap used EF lens.<br>

thanks for responses</p>

• 4 years later...