Original IQZoom

cliffmanley

<p>Well I finally bought a modern film camera. This is the newest camera I own! The Pentax IQZoom. This seems to be the original one that came out, immediately followed by the number series. I don't see too many of these around, does anyone know anything about these original ones, are they scarce? Anyway I ran a roll through it and It is pretty good. The manual from Butcus says the following</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Thank you very much for choosing the world's first fully automatic 35mm camera .... auto focus,auto-exposure,auto film winding, auto film rewinding, auto film loading, auto flash control....</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So the IQZoom was introduced in 1986 and the number series appeared in 1986 also. I'm wondering how many of these original ones there were? From the test roll, here are some current shots of my "little puppy" I posted a while back in the classic forum. He's over 50 pounds now!..</p><div>00YOpd-339729584.jpg.fa1434487505e3755156fdb6de02bbab.jpg</div>

<p>This camera seemed different when I picked it up. That's why I bought it. I have looked at a lot of the point and shoot cameras and they are all plastic crap. This one was heavy when I picked it up. It is apparently mostly a metal camera with a plastic shell. The parts you can see inside without taking it apart look intricate too. I'm sure on the later models they cut the cost with plastic and simple parts.. This one was expensive to make.</p>

<p>Toby turned out to be a great dog. He is an AussieDor. the combination is awesome. Super smart, not quite as hyper as Aussie alone with the Lab in him.. And he is fearless! The other night he was barking out the door. I looked out and didn't see anything. So I opened the door and he charged out. He ran around my truck and the ruckus started. Around the other side a Black Bear came running out with Toby biting his heals. He chased him around the house and I heard lots of barking from Toby and snorting from the Bear. Then I saw Toby running back toward me with the Bear chasing Him! As soon as the bear saw me he stopped, and Toby turned back on him again, and bit his back and heals till he ran him out of the yard. Then he just came trotting back like he was proud of himself. What a dog!</p>

<p>Kayam Thanks for asking, Yes I am starting to feel better.</p>

<p>The update on the Graph-olaroid ! I took off the plastic square shooter view finder and the Meyer range finder and replaced them with a good Zeiss range finder from a basket case Auto 250. The knob is used to adjust it and the distance is read off a scale and pointer. I also added a leather strap that makes it easier to carry and not drop it!. I also made a Cedar dust cover to slide on the back when the roll or other film holders are off the camera. I think I'm done with it. Here it is.</p><div>00YOwB-339835584.jpg.9c4da1bdc2e1eaf20b7158f524344e11.jpg</div>

<p>Glad to hear that you're doing better, Cliff. The Pentax IQ zooms were known for packing a lot of features into a small space. Unfortunately, the later models (meaning more plastic and absurdly long zoom ranges) had "button-itis" or too many funcitons controlled by one button). The last ones did have knobs to compliment the four button arrangement that some had. Is your IQ zoom a 35-70? That is a pretty safe range for most zoom point and shoots as you don't have "pinhole like" maximum apertures at the long end (like the models that go to 160mm or more)<br>

One caveat that many P&S AF cameras have is sensor parallax error. At close focusing distances the AF sensor may appear in the VF to be on the subject but in reality may miss due to parallax error. Some cameras did have markings in the VF to compensate. Not sure which Pentax models had this feature. Looks like you got a good shooter here. Toby looks like he enjoyed posing for you.<br>

Thanks for posting.</p>

<p><strong>JDM,</strong> I was dog less for about 6 months and i discovered I just couldn't live without one!<br />Before Toby I had 4 Samoyed's. When the last one died I said I wasn't going to get another dog. But I have had dogs all my life since I was 4 yrs old and just couldn't live without one. Toby is now my best Bud!</p>

<p><strong>Louis </strong>, Yes he is getting big. I said he is about 50 pounds but I think he really is more like 70. My biggest Sammy was 100 lbs. And Toby has such a distinguished look to him, like he's just so proud to BE!</p>

<p><strong>Mike,</strong> There is a double frame in the viewfinder for parallax correction, you use the smaller shifted one for closeup, but I don't think there is any correction for the sensor. I just don't know. It also flips up a green mask when you hold the green button and shift the power button over, it puts it into what they call macro mode and will focus between 2 to 3 feet. When the green mask is up you are only supposed to use the small frame in the viewfinder due to parallax. The sensor may shift for this mode. Yes this is 35-70 and was the first one that came out. It seems that almost immediately they changed it to a different style and called it the IQZoom 70. and many people say that that was the first, but this one that had no number was the first and it was also offered in a self dating model to date the frame. It's pretty impressive that any idiot could use this and get pretty decent results. Another thing neat about this one is that it uses a Lithium camera battery OR you can use regular AAA batteries due to a special little flip up battery holder inside it. I don't know if the others had that or not? I'm totally out of my element with cameras like this!</p>

<p>I have promised myself a brief petless term, so I can get out to some places like Yellowstone, etc. But for sure, some kind of pet is in my future. Have to stay away from rescue places, pounds, and petshops. I know I'd cave in if I had the slightest opportunity.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Cliff- knowing Pentax's habit of "sweating even the small details" I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some kind of sensor compensation. I don't know how common multi-size battery holders were in other models. Most of what we sold when my family had a camera shop was either lithium or AAA/AA, but not both. The lower end models tended to take AAA or AA with the pricier models (not always better) taking CR2 or DL123A lithiums. I have a Yashica T3 Super that takes a DL223 lithium (the big 6 volt like the Maxxum 7000i/8000i takes)<br>

FWIW, for occasional use the AAA would normally be fine. I think the real benefit of the lithium cell would be faster flash recycling and more shots on a set of batteries. That's where those of us using classic gear are ahead- our classics use smaller, less expensive batteries (if batteries are even needed).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>As for the Graph-olaroid, what can one say but "Gee!"?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>How many people have a camera that will take <strong>6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, or 6x9 on 120 roll </strong>film or<strong> 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 cut sheet </strong>film in regular double holders or 6 shot graphmatic holders, with a <strong>Rangefinder and Auto exposure</strong>. It really is quite a nice little camera! Very Light!</p>

<p>I guess you could say it is a medium format rangefinder camera that uses all standard graphic backs (including digital if you wanted to put one on it) with an anto exposure shutter system.</p>