Original 5D vs new crop camera

charcoal_happy

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I think the thing to consider is what your primary needs are. If you want low noise at high ISOs, the original 5D is not the camera for you; a 60D or 7D would do better. The 5D is usable up to ISO 1600, but I wouldn't push it to 3200. If you want fast burst mode shooting, the 5D is not what you want. On the other hand, if you want superb image quality mostly in the ISO 100 to 800 range, the 5D is still an excellent camera.</p>

<p>I don't own the 60D, I do own a 30D, 7D and 5D. Comparing the 5D with the 30D is a no brainer. Comparing the 5D with the 7D becomes a little bit more difficult. The 7D has 18MG pixels(the same as the 60D) compared to the 12.8MG pixels of the 5D.</p>

<p>As far as resolution is concerned, yes the 7D gives me better resolution than the 5D. However the 5D gives me a little bit more depth, I guess this is due to the Full Frame sensor. By depth I just don't mean DOF, but that the entire image takes on a more 3D type quality. The differences are real subtle and it depends allot on what your are shooting.</p>

<p>The newer cameras(7D/60D) have allot more doo-dads, some which can be very beneficial to your style of shooting. The newer cameras also have a much better play-back screen than the one on the 5D, plus faster shutter speeds, better AF, Live View, Auto sensor cleaning etc.</p>

<p>What I like about the 5D is its simplicity. Not allot of menus and buttons to get you confused. If you are the type of photographer who just likes to set the shutter speed and aperture, you will love the 5D.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>5D classic gives better DoF given the larger sensor size.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>For "better", read "shallower". It's only better if shallow DOF is what you want. For portraits this is often the case. For landscapes it usually isn't, and for macro work you often want as much DOF as you can get.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It also gives a wider FoV given the larger sensor.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, and this is good for ultra-wides, but not so good for super-telephotos. It all depends on one's needs. If I spent all my time shooting small birds with a 5D and a 600mm lens, I could definitely be tempted to switch to a 7D and a 400mm lens. The savings in money and weight would be well worthwhile. But I'm more interested in ultra-wides than super-telephotos, and the effect of a crop camera on a full-frame 15mm fisheye is truly depressing. That's one reason I prefer full-frame, but other people with different needs may reach different conclusions.</p>

<p>I have two old digital cameras- the 5D and a old 20D. Both are good in their own way. I use telephotos on the 20D and wide-angle and regular on the 5D - best of two worlds.<br /> Buy the 5D AND get an older APS-C camera (20D to 40D) too.</p>

<p>I will say that the last time I looked, the 5Ds had maintained their value very well and you'd still pay what I paid a couple of years ago.</p>

<p>Of course, if you need or want video, you have to get a newer 'crop' camera for your money.</p>

<p>Have you used both full-frame and 1.6-crop cameras? If not then borrow one or both to try them out. I find the larger viewfinder on a full frame camera makes taking pictures more enjoyable. That is entirely a personal preference so you should try for yourself.</p>

<p>If you enjoy buying and using cheaper, older, second-hand lenses then there is certainly a bigger choice of wide-angle to normal perspectives for full frame. If you like to have new lenses then Canon is equally happy to take your money and sell you an excellent lens for either format.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Obviously, the bigger the better!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If that's obvious to you, then I don't understand why you started this thread. Just buy the 5D and be done with it.</p>

<p>Personally I have always prefered smaller, lighter cameras. For that reason alone, I can't see myself ever switching from APS-C to FF. But as Sarah pointed out, for most folks it's horses for causes.</p>

<p>Also consider that a used 5D will have some amount of mileage on it while a new 60D will be under warranty. And also put some thought into what lenses you plan to mount on it. The format chosen can have a significant impact on not only budget but size/weight of your kit. The 60D will also have more features such as live view, video capture, and a built-in popup flash.</p>

<p>Charcoal, in <a href="00Zp9a">another thread</a> you said <em>"I do own a digital full frame body with some lovely L glass"</em>. Is your question whether to sell that body and trade for a smaller-sensored body?</p>

<p>I'm sorry, but Sarah was right. You need to decide which format fits you best before we can answer which camera is "better."</p>

<p>I own both a 5D2 and a 7D and use both A LOT (50,000 clicks on each). They're better at different things.</p>

<p>I have a 5D2, the 7D, and the 1D4. If one had to go, it would be the 5D2, even though I love the camera. For wildlife, whatever camera lets you fill the frame with your subject is the best, and it is tough filling the 5D2. However, if I shot mostly landscapes, the 7D would be the first to go. If I only got to keep one... I'd go with the 7D (as shocking as that sounds). As much as I love the 1D4, the APS-C sensor and the pixel density on the 7D is very, very hard to beat for wildlife work. </p>

<p>In other words, this all depends on what glass you already have and what you are shooting. For landscape/portraits/still-lifes, the 5D is a no-brainer so long as long as you have the glass for it. However, for action/wildlife, the 60D wins in heartbeat. You probably shoot a mix, so picking between the two will be a bit difficult. </p>

<p>I presume you mean the Canon 5D....I've never heard of a 5D Classic so I don't think there was a special release.</p>

<p>It depends on what you're after. The 60D will provide higher resolution, pretty much equal dynamic range, better AF, higher frame rate, live view, HD Video, better LCD and allows access to a larger array of lenses.</p>

<p>About the only advantage you'll get with the 5D is a shallower DOF, which can sometimes be useful in portraiture. If you're doing landscape work, then you can obtain higher resolution prints from the 60D. Despite what some people claim, the 60D / 7D provides higher resolution than the 5D regardless of the 5D having a FF sensor. The subject of resolution is not open to debate as tests prove the point. I've made large prints from both....no contest....the 60D wins.</p>

<p>Finally, the 60D new, with warranty, will run you the same or less than that used 5D with some miles on the shutter.</p>

<p>Sarah's original question is actually the right one.</p>

<p>Generally full frame cameras are better suited for wideangle photography, like architecture and landscapes, and crop bodies are better suited for telephoto photography, like sports and wildlife.</p>

<p>My preference is to have one of each which I did for four years. However, I just sold both bodies to get one 5D II. Full frame is more important to me and I could not pass on the price. It performs well enough to get me through a year of sports as well, until I can justify a used 50D or 7D to go with it.</p>

<p>So, which end of the photographic spectrum is more important to you? </p>

<p>I sold my 40D, and bought a 5D. I do not regret the decision, because I am into landscapes and portrait work. I find I get better details with my 5D than I did with my 40D. Like most people are saying, it depends what you shoot. If you shoot wide you want to look at the 5D. If you shoot sports and nature stuff, you would want a 60D/ 7D. I cannot express how much I enjoy the shallow depth of field that you get with the 5D. If you are considering portraiture, then i would definitely get the 5D. As far as prices in Canada, I saw a used 5D in a local camera store with fairly low shutter actuations, and it was prices at $750. To me that is a great price. I have also heard that full frame cameras lend themselves better to long exposure work as well. I love shooting long exposures, and find they have been coming out better on my 5D than they did on my 40D. Good luck.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What counts for me is the optical quality, not so much the mechanics of the body</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Neither has any optics at all (except of course for the VF). In either case the optical quality<em> of the lenses</em> will matter, probably far more than the camera body.</p>

<p>OTOH, perhaps you DO mean the VF, in that case, the 5D is the clearly superior choice ;-)</p>