Organizing photos on a Mac

I am an amateur photographer. I have a new dual processor Mac G5 with iPhoto5 and a

canon 20D

I have already noticed a slowdown with iPhoto with only about 1000 images (1.9GB) I use

adobe photoshop elements 3 and still shoot only JPEG, though may try out RAW one day.

I have searched this site and the web extensively, but wanted some opinions before I start

downloading trial versions of new software. My options:

*get iphoto library manager and create multiple libraries for iPhoto

* get iview mediapro (for future raw support)

* use elements file browser/finder

* use something else like extensis portfolio, canto cumulus, etc.

(i am leaning toward one of the first two above)

Any recommendations??

thanks

Please note that there is an issue with iPhoto 5 and slowness, even on a fast machine like yours, which can be resolved by launching all the other iLife apps. If you have not yet run iDVD, iMovie, iTunes and/or Garage Band then I recommend running them once and then trying iPhoto again. This fixes something under the hood and gets iPhoto back up to usable speeds. Worth a try before shelling out on new software - it transformed my 25gb iPhoto library back into something I could actually use without swearing.

If you have any inclination to buy the full-blown Photoshop, I would say use Adobe Bridge

(comes with Photoshop CS2). If you organize you pictures into folders on your hard drive

(Bridge balks at more than 800-1000 shots in one folder), it is a great way to view, rate, and

edit them. It has a very iPhoto-like interface (photo size slider, 1-5 star ratings during

slideshows, "smart album" folders, etc.) with lots of power under the hood.

I wouldn't buy photoshop just for Bridge, but I would think of it as a great second reason!

One more thing: I have an iPhoto library manger, iView MediaPro, and Bridge. I find myself

using Bridge over the others

iPhoto isn't at all useful if you want to shoot RAW and do anything more than look at the files.

Bridge and iView support RAW, but Bridge integrates so much better with Photoshop and

Adobe Camera RAW.