Organizing and Filing Digital Images on a Mac: Is iPhoto powerful enough?

I am an amateur photographer new to digital. I probably will shoot 500 to 1,000

images a month. I use a Mac with OS X. To store and catalogue images I am using

iPhoto, My question is whether iPhoto is powerful enough to store thousands of

images over the years. Should I buy a third party software package to store and

catalogue photos and if so which one? At the moment I find iPhoto very intuitive and

easy to use. I just set up albums and use key words. I guess I'm asking whether I am

overlooking functionality I will need down the road.

I bought an eMac just for that purpose. I think it was a mistake. Mac designers just don't seem to think like photographers. iPhoto2 isn't much better than the original. Right now, Windows XP handles photos and cataloging them much better than OS-X. Maybe OS-11 will be improved.

Just to clarify, I like iPhoto but am not sure what features I may be missing. At the

moment my digital image library is small but it is growing rapidly and I want to be

well equipped to find the images I want when I want them. In other words, what is

iPhoto lacking that I might find uselful in another program? I plan to stick with Mac.

>>>>>> Right now, Windows XP handles photos and cataloging them much

better than OS-X. Maybe OS-11 will be improved.

MacOS X wasn't intended to handle photos and catalogs. Softwares running

ON IT are expected to do so :-) Garnish your OS with what's necessary and

the Mac becomes an unbeatable workflow powerhorse.

I have used Cumulus in the past, and sometimes it comes packaged with things in a light version thats better than iPhoto or most other things as well. I don't know the cost of it new.

To an extent I agree, Mac doesn't think like photographers. Most of their systems come stock configured with too little RAM and then they overcharge to add more. Then again most companies do. :)

Adobe doesn't understand photographers either, Photoshop should have had better 16 bit support long ago for one thing.

David,

Two recent articles that might be of interest are "How to Manage Large Image Libraries with iPhoto 2" at http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/06/17/iphoto2.html and "The Digital Shoebox: Organizing Images on Your Computer," that appeared in the Aug/Sep 2003 issue of Camera Arts.

You might also want to get a copy of "iPhoto 2: The Missing Manual" by Derrick Story.

-Nick

Check out a trial version of iView Media Pro. I have thousands of

images cataloged with it. You can also set up slide shows and

generate very quick web page frameworks <a

href=http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jeanneevans/LatestWeb>like

this</a>.

www.citysnaps.net

I found iPhoto to be quite unstable with even moderately large (couple of

thousand) sets of images.

After trying several others (including Cumulus and Portfolio), I finally settled on

ACDSee as the best tool for my relatively simple needs: it's pretty cheap, fast, offers

convenient full-screen slideshows, allows images to be dragged around between

folders easily, and doesn't crash. It doesn't do fancy cataloguing or searching.

Regards,

Benjamin

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I downloaded iView Media Pro to try it out.

I'm not sure what a catalogue in iView Media compares to in iPhoto. Is it the same as

an album. Or is each download a catalogue the way each download is a roll in iPhoto?

Is there an instruction book if I buy the iView Media Pro? Couldn't find a help function

in the software.

Thanks for your help.

Has anyone used FileMaker Pro for the purpose of cataloguing? While it's not a purpose-built software for photo-libraries, I've heard that, being a flixible database management tool, it can serve the purpose very well (including keyword search capabilities); no clue wheather it would allow to display images and to drag-and-drop them from one folder to another though. Any first-hand experience to verify its usefulness?

Filemaker is a great database, but I vote for Portfolio for image management. I've used it since it was called 'aldus fetch'. It has all the cataloging and keyword capability you could ask for, and it has also great 'interactivity', you can easily drag and drop files between photoshop and an html editor like Golive or Dreamweaver or other graphics software. Plus manage files and folders, build web galleries etc.

Do any of these software packages (Cumulus, Portfolio, iView

Media Pro) have OS 9.X versions available? Or will the OS X

versions function in 9.X as well? Some of us Mac users are still

stuck comfortably in the past (I'm still using 9.1 - what the heck,

it's doing what I need done, it isn't crashing, and Canon and its

drivers can't seem to keep up with current Macintosh operating

systems anyway).

Portfolio 6.01 works w/ OS 8.6-9.2.2, and Portfolio 6.12 is for OSX. I was just noticing on the <A HREF="http://www.extensis.com/portfolio/" TARGET="_blank">Portfolio web site</A> that they now have a 'photo raw' filter that lets you catalog raw camera files from high end DSLRs.

<BR><BR>Portfolio is pricy though, $200 -ouch! Which is why I haven't upgrade from vers 3 yet!

• 1 month later...