Oregonians. How is the Oregon Coast in late September? Like 9/24---for a week?

GerrySiegel

<p>I have never been to the rust belt except in Summer and in Portland and Mt Hood.<br>

I am looking tomorrow at a two grand $ sign up with a motor coach tour of retirees like me on a place called "Exploritas." (used to be Elderhostel). Up and down the coast and to Crater Lake. Earlier dates in September all filled up already...<br>

Sure, I know that I will not get all the shooting I want in a crowd, who could, but I can handle that and is offset for me at 73 but fairly spry an no disabilty but a little persnickity about a soft pillow :-) with the luxury of a motor coach to park and drive for me, and someone else taking care of meals and lodgings and crap, (about 7 days tour for two grand, plus my air fare to Portland and back._<br>

Question: Before I plunk down a deposit soon, is late September a real <em>iffy</em> cold and rainy like time weather- wise for us thin blooded Hawaiian types? Or is it a just all depends thing in late Fall?<br>

I hate to have to plan three months in advance, but, cest la vie, it looks like bookings get filled fast If I don't .. Your thoughts, touring wise, photo wise, clothing wise....mostly is weather a deal breaker do you think?</p>

<p>Weather-wise: be prepared for rain. The Oregon coast, like Washington State, can be really nice, and it could really rain. [i lived in the Tacoma, Washington State, area, from 1973 to 1977, courtesy of the US Air Force...and drove the Oregon coast one or two times.]</p>

<p>Depending on what the weather is off the Pacific, low pressure = rain; high pressure = no rain.</p>

<p>Just be prepared for rain....</p>

<p>I've photographed the Oregon coast in September a couple of times. To me the biggest weather problem on this coast is clear blue skies and bright glarey days- a recipe for no photography for me. The later you go the less chance you have of that and the more chance you get of clouds , dramatic skies, and good photography. Sure you might get a few days of rain- but to me thats no more unproductive than summer weather.</p>

<p>Thanks gents. Sounds like late September is not too iffy to plunk down a deposit this week. And round up a couple air tickets. (this exploritas is listed as one of their most popular btw) I will travel light, photographically, just taking just a Panny G-1 Lumix and a few cards. May,not yet and maybe never, consider buying ,for low light indoors or wherever, the Panasonic 20 mm 1.4 . Will schlep my carbon Bogen monopod,not big and not heavy. (Latter only so I can beat off the ladies and other "shoulder season" goofers like me. Who won't move aside when I am composing a masterpiece.. First time on a tour bus group. Not mainly a photo expedition or I'd have a rental car..<br>

If I see an area I really like I will return on my own later likely next Summer when the kids are out and fares go way way up from here... A scouting expedition of sorts . I see pics of the Oregon Coast in books that take my breath away. I have a good light binoculars ,mnot all has to be photoed..Aloha and thanks again,gs</p>