ordering 5d - what accessories will I need?

link

I'm about to order a Canon 5d and, I think, the 24 f2.8, 35 f2, 50 f1.4 and 100 f2 prime lenses.

I haven't owned a digital SLR yet so I'm wondering what else I might want to order such as lens shades,

cables, memory cards (what type and size and speed), card reader, batteries, pola filter/step up rings etc.

Also is there a cable release possible with the camera or is there a remote control included?

I'm well versed in photoshop etc, so I'm just interested in the hardware stuff.

Thanks!

-bruce

ps. I'm also curious: How accurately does the LCD screen show the exposure of the RAW image?

Are you sure you want that many lenses to start with? Seems a bit overwhelming if its your

first dig SLR. just my opinion. As to lenses some sort of general purpose zoom would

always be nice. Again not sure what your use for the camera is but when you are walking

around a zoom is nice. In your case maybe something in the wide range since you can get

2.8 with a wide zoom lens.

I would highly suggest getting a Canon flash

Memory cards ( size depends on what your doing )

I would always use a UV filter on lenses to protect your glass

Thanks Tommy,

Not to knock your suggestions, but just to keep any responses relevant...I'm new to

DSLR, but not to photography :)

I tried the zooms at a camera store, just too heavy for me to feel happy about...

And, I just have no use for an on camera flash for the most part.

I do need to know what type and size and speed of memory cards though.

Thanks again,

-bruce

A cable release is possible but not included; it's not expensive (relatively). There are two

options from Canon: a simple button that fires the camera, or an electronic version that

lets you set up timed exposures lasting up to many hours, multiple exposures, etc. There

are also third-party versions. And wireless triggers of various sorts.

For a memory card, keep in mind that every RAW image occupies roughly 12 megabytes (I

think). So, a 1 gigabyte CF card will hold maybe 80-some RAW images; more than that if

you shoot only JPEGs.

You probably want a card reader (USB 2 or Firewire for speed), although it's possible to

download directly from the camera with an (included) USB cable.

The image on the LCD is not all that useful for detailed exposure data, but the histograms

are extremely helpful.

Thanks Mark,

I'm interested in the LCD preview to preview lighting for a project to be shot on film and

scanned. I guess I'm just interested in the lighting ratios and how close an approximation

they will appear.

I don't understand, your last post in conflict to the first as you are indicating film vs the 5d which is digital.

If you are interested in lighting ratios, answers depend on your lighting set-up. Studio lighting is completely a different animal from the ETTL (through the camera)capabilities. This may invovlve ST-E2's and multiple remote Canon flash units which will allow many adjustments from the camera position, but is a huge subject all by itself.

If shooting in the field, you can get a pretty fair idea from the LCD if you magnify and move around the image, presuming you aren't in a super bright area. For studio shoots, I recommend shooting tethered and immediately seeing it on screen.

You should definitely get hoods for all lenses since Canon do not include them with these lenses. In addition to Canon's own overpriced ones, there are clones available for many of the hoods, some sold under the Marumi brand (and available through retail channels in some countries), and some no-name via ebay.

With respect to cards you may find the following useful:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-8198

Bear in mind that the camera's buffer memory gives you a degree of slack, so if your style of shooting isn't going to fill the burst buffer you can safely buy cheaper and slower cards. 2GB is probably the sweet spot, and a couple of cards will give you around "8 films" worth (much more if shooting JPEG rather than RAW). Buy cards from a reputable source - not ebay, since there are a lot of substandard fakes on the market. Cards should be formatted in the camera, not via your computer. A card reader will save a lot of hassle - get one.

Most people seem content with third party spare batteries from e.g. Sterlingtek. You should have at least one, and rotate use.

This comparative review is handy:

http://photonotes.org/reviews/wired-remotes/

Don't mess with step rings - simply get the filters you want in 52 and 58mm sizes. The only ring I would consider is a reversing ring if you are interesting in mounting your 50mm on your 100mm for macro work.

Check B&H and they will tell you everything that is included. That is not quite the question you had asked, but, under accessories they will tell you which model accessories are recommended, such as a remote release and type of cards. You should check as often cards are NOT included with the camera. Same goes with the lens hoods will be listed under the appropriate lens, as well as filter sizes. Those are not L lenses, so hoods are an accessories. With luck you will have no more than 2 filter sizes. I have the 24 f2.8 and 35 f2. I bought an 8X ND filter specifically for stream photography to fit the 24.2.8 and purchased a step up ring so I could use it with the 35 f2 also.

That is a lot of equipment to acquire at one time. I would consider buying some and split in two orders. And order the non essentials like polarizing filter a short time later.

You might consider downloading the manual for the 5D in pdf form and study that even before the camera arives. I am sure it will also be helpful with recommended accessories.

I went with mostly primes myself with the 5D. If it's your shooting style, it remains a good way to go with 5D.

With the 35/2, it's advisable to get a 52-58 step up ring since the other lenses you list take 58mm filters. And if you go with a polarizer, get a circular polarizer. You can use other filters if you want to, but I find that most color balancing is best done in software. If you have favorites for special situations or for effects that you like, you'll be able to use them just the same.

I use 2Gig memory cards and look on them like they're each 2 rolls of 36-exp. So go with usual load and divide by two. I think 2 Gig is a good figure with the 5D; in case one fails, you have less chance of losing everything. To get the images onto a computer, a nice card reader is also mandatory, offloading images directly from the camera, while possible, is a bit of a pain.

At the very least, get one spare battery. I find a battery will last me about a day of active shooting. The camera comes with one battery and a charger.

The 5D has a couple of remote switch options, even a cable release adapter. Often as not, I use the built-in self-timer option with the mirror-lock capability when I'm using a tripod. However, I use the remote switch RS-80N3 when doing portraits. The connector used with the 5D is what Canon calls the T3 and has been around a while.

For exposure, the LCD screen is somewhat useful in providing a preview but the exposure histogram graph that can be displayed is much more useful. It looks somewhat like the "Levels" graph in Photoshop. I find it best to treat digital like it was slide film. However, the camera offers exposure bracketing so you can play games combining images in Photoshop, if you're in a tough exposure situation. And shooting with RAW files, you can normally get a bit more latitude out of your images if the light was just plain bad.

Have fun with the 5D. It is a great camera.

> ps. I'm also curious: How accurately does the LCD screen show the >exposure of the RAW image?

It's my understanding that the histogram shows the data from whatever processing setting you have in the camera NOT the actual RAW file. I read an article on that recently, but I can't find the link again.

Truthfully I hate the 35/2. Just don't think it's that sharp and I can't stand the old style build. Not a giant fan of the 100/2 either as I would probably give up the light and go with the 100/2.8 macro and thus cover two bases with that one stone...

The cable release is the RS80 I think...

The price of memory has come down so much that I can't imagine using only a two gig card...

4gb extreme 3 is under 60 at b/h and if you can get the mail in rebate that means you get it for around 40...

If those are the lenses you're used to with your other cameras, they're good lenses.

Personally I prefer the 85mm lens instead of the 100mm lens - either is excellent but f1.8

works and far cheaper than the f1.2. I also have a 180mm f3.5 macro lens which I like for

its dual functions as a telephoto and macro lens.

I would suggest adding a remote shutter release (RS-80N3) or timer shutter release (TC-

80N3) and a battery grip (BG-E4) with an extra set of batteries. I'm a big fan of 2 Gigabyte

disks (I carry 4) because it reduces the risk of damaging one and losing a lot of images,

but that's a personal preference. And I've a fan of quality (plain or UV) protective filters,

they're cheap insurance against dust, rain, etc., and while you can say they effect the

image quality, it's (almost) impossible to see it in the images.

You'll like the 5D, and when you get it, sit down for an afternoon with it and the manual

and go over all the features and functions. In other words wander through the menu and

play with the settings. Once done you can find out what settings you prefer and what you

can quickly change in the field. Get comfortable with it so you're not trying to learn it

while you're working with it.

Good luck.

The above is just too much to wade through, so I'll just start fresh:

Canon makes 2 wired remote releases. The cheaper one doesn't have a timer, and is about $50~$80. Some third parties make cheaper ones, I believe. You can live without it, for the interm, unless you shoot a lot of tripod.

Your camera will come with USB cable, and an RCA style cable, for transfer of the lcd display to a TV. Apart from that, a Card Reader is almost manditory, for efficient and simple transfer from card to computer.

Flash cards? I really like the original, 2gig Sandisks. Never any issues, fast enough.

Lens? I'm currently using Canon 50mm f1.4, 24-70mm and the 70-200 f2.8 IS. Very happy with all of them. I also have the 24-105. Not so thrilled with that one, though it is more compact than the 24-70 and the IS is nice.

My opinion only: put B+W MRC UV's on all your lens at time of purchase. Sort out the fancier Circ Polarizers etc. at a later date.

When the dust settles, there's always bags to think about...

Noone can answer your question for you unless you tell us precisely why you need it and

what you intend to use it for.

I would risk an eye and suggest to you to put your savings on a closed account and only use

what is necessary for the 5D and the 50/1.4. After having shot some thousands of scenes

you would know the animal better and you might find an urgent need for additional

equipment, but never, never start there. You are about to waste an awful lot of money...

Thanks all for the suggestions thus far.<p>

Anders said:

<i>Noone can answer your question for you unless you tell us precisely why you need it

and what you intend to use it for.<p>

I would risk an eye and suggest to you to put your savings on a closed account and only

use what is necessary for the 5D and the 50/1.4. After having shot some thousands of

scenes you would know the animal better and you might find an urgent need for

additional equipment, but never, never start there. You are about to waste an awful lot of

money...</i><p>

Anders, please don't risk an eye for gosh sakes!<p>

Ok, here's what I'm going to use it for in the immediate future:<p>

I'm shooting a movie in a remote location, so I want to get this package together before I

leave. At first, I just wanted a non-film camera to take photographs on my days off for

personal use. I am used to shooting with fuji 6x9 rangefinders and a tripod. I often shoot

late in the day or at night and hence the question about the cable release. I will need a

remote that has a timer. Even better, a remote that operates the camera for timelapse

(should the batteries last long enough) though this is not the priority for this trip.<p>

I have just learned that I will not be seeing the developed film for 10 days after I shoot it

so I would like to shoot still images of the scene to confirm the look of the lighting and to

email to the color correction lab what the scene is supposed to look like. (I'll have to do

this in the evenings) The question about the LCD was not for exposing in the 5D, as the

real project is shot on film and exposed using a light meter (old school). I just was

wondering if the contrast of the LCD kind of accurately reflects a typical rendering of the

photograph as a lighting preview aid. I don't have the time to tether to a computer in the

field, though I hadn't really thought about it. What kind of connection is necessary for

that?<p>

Thanks for the suggestions about the smaller flash cards not risking all my photographs

on a single card.<p>

And yes that 35mm lens is probably not the best but there doesn't seem to be much

choice at a price that reflects how much money I'll be making with the 5D (probably little

to none:) )<p>

The suggestion to avoid the step-up ring seems to make good sense and I'll also assume

that my linear pola filters will not work with the camera's auto focus and through the lens

metering?<p>

I don't think I'm about to waste an awful lot of money LOL, though I wished there was a

full frame DSLR with in camera image stabilizer...but it's not to be for a little while.<p>

Thanks,<p>

-bruce

A rocket blower is a rubber squeeze bulb blower that looks like a rocket. I can't remember the brand name right now. That type of device normally takes care of sensor dust for me, anyway. I have read advice against using canned air to clean a sensor because it may leave residue on the sensor. Instructions for sensor cleaning are in the manual.