Options for Lens stuck on Nikon FA?

salttram

<p>Ok, I've searched, Googled, twisted, and shaken . . . and still can't remove a lens from my wife's trusty FA. The lens is a Vivitar Series 1 90mm 2.5 Macro. The camera body was working fine just prior, and I had removed/replaced the lens several times the same day with no problems. As I was trying to remove the lens, it rotated partially (about 3/4") and then became locked in that position. The posts I've seen regarding this aren't helping.<br>

Anyone have a special technique for this, or, a shop I can send it to that will be willing to tackle this? Thanks so much in advance for any replies.</p>

<p>It sounds like when you unmounted the lens, it rotated by 3/4" or so but it is stuck. I.e. you also cannot rotate the lens back to the usual locked position. In that case most likely some screw or pin is now sticking out and locking your lens in its current position. You probably need to have a technician take the FA or the lens apart to separate the two. Given the current value for the FA and for a Vivita lens, it maybe cheaper to replace. Along with that thought, if you are not too concerned about damaging either component due to the limited value (i.e. you don't have much to lose anyway), you may try to force them apart as Eric suggests. Just be careful not to injure yourself.</p>

<p>If the lens is an original series Vivitar from the old days, it might be worth saving. If it's one of the recent ones, not so much.<br>

I personally would rather screw up the lens than the FA body.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Don't force it, get a bigger hammer" (Nolite id cogere, cape malleum majorem)<br>

............supposedly a graffito on the wall of a blacksmith shop in Pompeii.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Does the shutter still work? If so, I'd put it on B, fire to open the shutter, and take a look in from the back to see if I saw anything.</p>

<p>How's the lens oriented? I've sometimes had the experience of putting on a lens with the bayonet 1/3 off, and started to get the lens stuck, or maybe I turned it the wrong direction (Nikon lenses go on backwards!) Is one of those situations the possible one?</p>

<p>Thanks for all the replies! I will try the feeler gauge idea tomorrow, I have a whole collection of those. And I'll try to get a better look from the inside on bulb.</p>

<p>Both lens and camera are valued and trusted user gear, each being the "best" of its time, working well (till now) and still holding their own today. The lens is the Tokina-made "Bokina" version, something definitely worth saving! I would hate to damage either . . .</p>