optimizing a canon 5D from multiple used bodies

thefrogtog

i am a fan of the 5D classic and have 4 bodies. i was wondering if it is realistic to try to pick the best parts of each to create 1 or 2 better bodies as some may have been more used and some have issues and having bought them used i don´t know their histories.

- 1 of them has a touch of rust in the lens mount

- 1 has had the mirror fall and be glued back with some traces of glue on the mirror edge, not affecting function, but still...

- 1 is an early, 2005 with the greenish LCD which was updated in 2006 and then in 2007

- 1 has a top and back LCD scratched

- 1 had the canon mirror fix and another came after canon resolved the mirror issue

so i was thinking of combining the best elements, like re-build up 2 bodies with the latest LCD´s, least used parts, latest mirrors...

so i was wondering if it is realistic to try this, and if before shutter failure, is there a way to determine shutter usage (unlike later models the 5D doesn´t record shutter actuation), and general fatigue of parts?

i was also wondering if there is a way to adapt a better LCD from another eos ?

I'm not into camera repairs. Adapting an LCD will most likely require one with similar pixel count. Another issue: Why should a better one fit at all? - Look at Leica who ran out of M8 replacement LCDs, after the "coffe stain" issue occured. - OK they are a much smaller company but the trouble with electronic parts should be the same for all.

If I was you, I'd shoot the fishiest till they fall apart and get them fixed with cannibalized parts, if it makes sense. - Why pay for a shutter transplant before it is technically needed? - There is a YouTube video of somebody wearing out a Canon shutter on purpose. I think it died peacefully, without damaging something else.

i was wondering if it is realistic to try to pick the best parts of each to create 1 or 2 better bodies as some may have been more used and some have issues and having bought them used i don´t know their histories.

Are you a really good camera technician and feel comfortable disassembling multiple camera bodies, keeping track of tiny screws and all the little quirks of how the pieces fit together and know you can put them all back together and you really enjoy doing this stuff and wont be upset if you possibly turn several used cameras into scrap. If so then go for it.

If not, maybe just be happy using the worn but functional cameras you have. When they finally become non functional, then risk a DIY repair. You can order replacement parts on the internet.

Just my opinion, but I don't think you will make a new 5D camera from questionable used parts. But if you are good at this kind of thing and go for it, you know the risks going in. Good luck.

• Like 1
Cheers, Mark

not really a good mechanic, but i was thinking that since sooner or later i will have to dismantle them to change the shutter, or something else, i may as well get used to it...but yes you have a point, last time i tried to fix adn clean an EF 50mm and a 80-200mm i ended up with 2 scrap lenses

not really a good mechanic, but i was thinking that since sooner or later i will have to dismantle them to change the shutter, or something else, i may as well get used to it...but yes you have a point, last time i tried to fix adn clean an EF 50mm and a 80-200mm i ended up with 2 scrap lenses

Well, you know the risks going in. lol. You may find a talent for it and develop a skill that could have potential financially. Buying non-functional high-end cameras on the cheap, buying new replacement parts on eBay, replacing camera shutters and screens bring old cameras back to life and sell them making some jingles. Might be a nice side gig hobby business if you develop the skills.

I used to repair Kenwood, Yeasu and TenTec HAM radios as a hobby and I was an electronics bench tech in a past life fixing all sorts of stuff. I have not tackled a Canon Camera, I have worked on old Sony video cameras, VCRs, and recently a Neewer Flash that had alkaline battery leak, hardest part on that was they used 4 different tiny screws and it was too easy to use the wrong screw reassembling, but I managed to get the flash working again. I just don't find it enjoyable anymore, it seems electronics today are meant to be thrown out and not fixed. I have moved on to engineering in my professional career. But for a good tinkerer, there is a lot of opportunities to get some nice gear on the cheap by fixing it. I wish you success. :-)

Cheers, Mark

I think this is an unrealistic 'plan'. If you enjoy the work, then making it a hobby could be very satisfying... however, it may also be extremely frustrating. Keep in mind that the sensor must be perfectly aligned with the lens mount. If, while disassembling to swap out a green LCD w/ a clear one, you dislodg/lose a shim, after you've put it back together, the left sides of the images are always a smidge fuzzy (or whatever)... you are going to have no way to correct that fault, and that will be immensely frustrating.

...further, it is unlikely that it will ever be cost effective, or profitable. The lifespan of these cameras almost always exceeds the demand for them. The 5D is an excellent example. You have 4 copies, all of which seem to function properly and produce, 10+ years after manufacture, images equivalent to those produced the day they rolled off the production line. An excellent condition used copy can reliably get under $400. With the amount of time and money you'd invest in a) learning to disassemble/reassemble properly b) parts (presumably 'for parts' cameras - which can be hit or miss), c) tools (things like JIS screwdrivers, service manuals (and specs), maybe some sort of calibration rig). You are still capped by the market in what kind of return on that investment you'll get. A 'tweaked' 5D for example (unless you've done something like an IR/astrophotography conversion) is not going to sell for significantly more than one of the dozens sold on ebay this week.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...