on my Linhof Super Technika V 6x9. Maybe that this lens is one of the

latest models, because it has a black barrel and i saw other

Rotelar's with a chrome front ring too.

I know it cant be coupled with the meter but it does 'nt matter. All

i need is optical data like image circle, picture angle, flange

distance at inf., recommended working aperture, shutter size and all

the other important facts.

I sent an email three times to rodenstock and did not receive an

answer, so i hope the community can help me.

Regards from a rainy Vienna, Austria

Martin Czermak

Martin,

I am not an expert on this lens, however I do own two of them. It is referenced in 1950's Linhof catalog (70 year anniversary addition), along with Graflex catalogs into the early 1970's. My 270mm Rotelar will cover 4 X 5 with very limited movements (I think the image circle is 160mm). The lens was considered a fast telephoto when introduced in the 1950's with a 1/400 shutter. However, most of the competition caught up and fit faster shutters by the late 1950's. In my 1950's Linhof catalog, the 270mm Rotelar is shown with four elements, while the later Graflex catalogs list it as a five element design. Hence, some improvement was made along the way. Both of mine are 5 elements, date to the mid 1960's and perform very well (especially at f/11 and beyond). It is usable at f/5.6 but is not the performer that the 250mm Sonnar is wide open. It is single coated. 67mm screw-in filter. I think a #1 shutter size. Best aperture is f/11 to f/16. It's angle of view is 19 degrees for 6cm X 7cm and 32 degrees for 4" X 5".

I see that the 270mm Rotelar is listed in the Graflex XL catalog with a 1/500 shutter. This is only a guess, but the 270mm Rotelar may have been offered in two designs, one to cover medium format and the other to cover 4 X 5. I know that other manufactures designed telephotos in two versions, one for medium format and the other for large format.

The 270mm Rotelar was also offered as a Graflex Tele-Optar with a max aperture of f/6.5 and a Graflex 1000 shutter with a top speed of 1/1000. This was for use on the Super Speed Graphic and offered between 1962 and 1971. I have this rare lens, which is the same lens design as the f/5.6 but aperture limited to f/6.5 in order to acheive the maximum of 1/1000.

Look at Chris Perez' test report on this lens:

http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testing.html

You will note that Chris' tests have this lens listed as a 270mm Rotelar and 270mm Rodenstock Tele-Optar, with the Tele-Optar offering much better performance. Since they are the same exact lens, the test results appear to be inconsistant (could be that one of the lenses was a "dud"). I have one stamped Rotelar and the other "Tele Optar". Both of mine yield equal results and I am very satisfied with them.

Sorry I don't have more technical information.

Regards,

J. P. Mose

• 3 weeks later...

Martin,

Appreciated your situation and the comments submitted by others. I was interested because I find myself in the same position as you. I have a 270mm Rotelar serial 8886841 that I have an opportunity to buy. Assuming that the serial number correlates with Rodenstock serial numbering system, I calculate the lens was mfg late 1973. This lens is marked "Made in Germany" and bears the Rodenstock name. It is mounted to a Copal 1 shutter and the shutter max speed is 1/400. I tested it and it appears that it is quite sharp. Would be interested to know what you might have paid for yours.

Dave Clough

Bigfork, MT USA

• 7 months later...