Opinions on the Adorama Podmatic Monopod?

harry_akiyoshi

Does anyone use this monopod? I'm looking for a general-purpose

monopod, mostly for use with short telephotos in low light,

occasionally with a small 400mm just because it's a pain to handhold

under any circumstance. I'm attracted to the Podmatic because it's

so compact and convenient-looking, but I have reservations. It costs

twice as much as a Manfrotto monopod that will support the same

load. Although the Manfrottos tend to be significantly larger and

heavier. Thoughts, anyone? I'm particularly interested in the build

quality and ease of use.

I have one, as well as a Bogen 3218 (the previous-generation "pro" monopod from Bogen/Manfrotto, which was replaced last year by the 681B).

The Adorama Podmatic is quite light and compact. In return, it is pretty flimsy -- you say you're interested in build quality, and so I'd suggest you steer away from this one.

In terms of convenience, it's pretty handy if you tend to extend your pod, take just one or two shots, and then collapse it again. Extending to your desired height couldn't be easier, and collapsing is almost as quick.

Quick adjustments are a mixed bag -- if you want it just a hair longer, that's very quick. If you want it a hair shorter, that's a real pain, as you have to collapse it all the way and then extend again to your desired height. For quick adjustments, one of those pods with the trigger release on the top section like the old Bogen 3245 is probably the way to go, though my 3218 is also pretty quick (probably easier than the newer 681B).

The Podmatic does come with a nice little carrying case, which is big enough to accomodate a small head as well -- I use a Bogen 3423 (Manfrotto 235) flexhead. Given that the pod itself is so flimsy, a case seems like a good idea, as it had a better chance of lasting for a little while.

In summary, the Bogen/Manfrotto monopods are a LOT more monopod for the money. I'd go with the Adorama Podmatic only if you really, really need it to be really quick to extend, and almost as quick to collapse.

Interesting comments. I like mine. I also have the Bogen 3218 and while it is a good monopod, it's way to heavy & bulky for just packing along on a whim. I have to know I'm going to want to use it or it stays home. I feel the same way about tripods to some extent, but more so about monopods, because they are supposed to be light & quick.

The Podmatic isn't really flimsy. It just has so many sections that don't really tighten, that it flexes quite a bit. However, with a monopod, flexing doesn't effect image quality the way a flimsy tripod does.

As has been said, it's biggest problem is trying lower it a bit after you've extended it. You have to collapse it all the way down & raise it back up to the lower elevation. I usually have to do this if I decide to change the camera orientation from horizontal to vertical. Admittedly you can do this very quick with a little practice, but I wish it were simpler.

Another alternative is to get a Velbon Maxi 343e tripod or something similar. It's a little bigger and heavier than the Podmatic, but still smaller & lighter than the Bogen monopod. Just extend one leg for use as a monopod or all three when you want the tripod. Considering the need for a small ball head on the Podmatic, the cost is less for the Velbon trpod. And while the little Velbon isn't a sturdy tripod, it's a whole lot more steady than a monopod.

• 4 months later...

I'm the pseudo-official photographer for a car club that does lots of track events, and I usually shoot ~400 pictures per weekend. Hand-holding my Canon Rebel G with Tokina 80-200 ATX (sometimes w/ 2x teleconverter) while standing in the sun for 8+ hours per day gets to be rather tiring. I wanted some mechanical assistance, but didn't want my mobility to be hindered with a tripod, so I opted for the Podmatic.

After this past weekend, I can say that I'm very pleased with its funcionality -- my arms didn't get tired and being able to keep the camera level alleviated the need to re-focus after lowering the camera to rest. The range of height was also perfectly suited to my needs.

However, I have decided to return my Podmatic. After a short while in the hot Georgia sun, my palms were black from the anodizing that was rubbing off on them -- it looked as if I had been changing brake pads instead of doing photography! Not only that, but the minimal amount of perspiration on my hands caused the white "Adorama Podmatic" paint to rub onto other areas of the monopod and transfer to the camera. Additionally, after only four or five extension/retraction cycles one of the sections was significantly scratched around its entire circumference; it was as if sand were embedded inside the bushing it slides through (this bushing was also notably looser than the others).

If you ignore the fact that a few hours of use gives the Podmatic what seems to be a few year's worth of wear, it would be a good product. :\

-Shawn