hkbmac

I have been looking at the CP5700. It looks like it might fit my

neads. I am looking for a SLR type of digital camera for studio and

outdoors portrait work. I'd love a D1000, but can't justify it on my

baby budget. The 5700 has full manual mode and a nikon hotshoe, so,

I'll be able to use my monolights. Does anyone have any experience

with this camera? I have read the review on DPreview, and the info

on Nikon's site already.

The 5700 is not great, I agree. It's slow to operate, the zoom extends very far out and is rather slow. I was hoping they'd design it as an internal zoom, but they didn't. it handles fairly well, but it isn't the best camera out there.

Fortunately it does feel well built and the photo quality isn't horrendous. The thing about it that bugs me the most is the viewfinder. Essentially, you can't use it under any conditions. I've found it to be utterly useless. It is too low res, gets blown out too easily and fails to keep up when the lens is moved. Essentially for composing your shots, the 5700 is a glorified Coolpix 2500, which no optical viewfinder (or even a good electronic viewfinder).

IF you are going to buy one of these nikons, I'd suggest the 5000. It's not great, but it's a lot better than the 5700. Price wise though, the D100 isn't a lot more than the 5700, and if you already have some Nikon lenses I'd say save the extra money and buy it. If you have Canon lenses, then similarly, get the D60 from Canon.

"the 5700 is a glorified Coolpix 2500 ... I'd suggest the 5000. It's not great, but it's a lot better than the 5700."<p>

Carl, do you think about what you say? Have you ever held a 5700? or a 5000? or a 2500?? or do you just type bullshit for the hell of it? 5700 is a considerably improved version of the 5000, It has a similar professional quality metal chassis as the 5000, the same 5 Mpixel CCD, the same view finder as the 5000, but with faster response time, better onboard flash arrangement, large zoom ranged albeit less compact lens than the 5000. The 2500 is an entry level, almost toy like plastic camera with a 2Mpixel CCD and an arrangement designed to look cute and be conveneient for putting into shirt pocket. You are saying these 5700 is comparable to 2500 and 5000 is better than 5700? Get real.