Opinions on Nikon 85mm f/1.4 - opportunity to buy

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by bmm, Mar 13, 2008.

1. bmm

bmm

Hi all

A friend who is moving overseas has offered me his 85mm f/1.4 lens for a
    stupidly good price. It's barely been used, about 10 months old, still has
    box, papers and receipts, etc. Bought new here in Sydney from a reputable
    store.

While in the last couple of months I've bought some other glass, I can (just)
    afford it and am thinking about it.

The reviews on this lens seem pretty sweet. But I am seeking the first-hand
    opinions of you, my fellow readers.

Also, this would make my total bag of lenses as follows:

1. 35mm f/2.0

2. 50mm f/1.4

3. 85mm f.1.4

4. 18-200mm VR f/3.5-5.6

5. 80-200mm f/2.8

Part of me thinks the 18-200 is becoming redundant, while another part of me
    still likes it as an 'anything goes' backup (at least until I turn a Xmas
    bonus into a 17-55... but that's still almost a year away!). What do you
    think? Sell or keep for a while longer?

2. It's a gem. One of my all time favorite Nikon lenses. I use it more than any other lens on my F100. Don't hesitate.

3. buy it. its really awesome.... then save up for a 17-55 or 24-70 and sell the 18-200... you'll be pretty set, perhaps with room for a 12-24.

4. Wonderful for film cameras or the full frame D3, but a little long with a DX body in my
    experience. Sharp lens, amazing piece of glass. I am not a fan of the 18-200mm, the image
    quality is just not good enough for me. I prefer the 18-70mm and 70-300mm. By all means
    get the 85mm f1.4, it's legendary. The AF-D version is said to be a little better still than the
    AIS version, hard to believe as the AIS version is so good.

5. If you don't want it I'll buy it... you can even make a few bucks off me. Shot the lens today and am in love with it!!! I just hope they don't update it in the coming months!

6. AWESOME lens, is truly a KEEPER.

7. i'd go for the 85.
    dunno if i'd keep the 18-200, but you have a year to figure that out, so no rush.

8. I have one for sale in the photo.net classifieds:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=761290

9. bmm

bmm

A specific slant on this is that I'm basically getting the 85/1.4 for the price of a new 85/1.8

So a part of my question is whether the 85 is the same as the 50mm where (unless you absolutely need the 1.4 aperture) you get a marginally better lens for a whole lot less money.

What I guess I'm asking is, if they were the identical price, is the 85mm 1.4 better, same as, or worse than the 85mm 1.8?

10. I have the 85 1.4 AIS , and it is a fabulous lens......buy it !!
    00OmXr-42262284.jpg

11. I got 85mm 1.4 AIS. Before I got it, I was lusting over 85mm 1.8, and especially 85mm 1.4 AF.

Then I bought the 85mm 1.4 Ai-s as a cheaper substitute. Never feel that I need 85mm 1.4 AF anymore. It's that good.

12. Buy it. I can't believe you are hesitating. Buy it.

Did you understand that I think you should buy it?

Buy it. One of the top 5 or 6 lenses in the whole range.

j.

13. I have this lens and you should not hesitate. It has a beautiful clarity and a personality all its
    own.

Rob

14. BTW... buy it. No really. I'd buy it in a heart beat.

15. Love it. If you can afford it, you won't regret it.

16. gdw

gdw

A 85mm f1.4 for the price of the 1.8. No, no, no. Spend that money on the f/1.8. It will be more than good to take many shots of you kicking yourself in the patooey. That's not even a toss up question. I would have been over there yesterday with the cash.

17. Get it, use it, learn it, you will love it. Don't even compare it with the 50mm line or anything else for that matter. It's a different breed of cat altogether.

18. bmm

bmm

Ok ok ok........

For those of you who have fretted over this on my behalf, yoou will be pleased to know that my camera bag is heavier and my bank account is lighter!

Have been playing with it and I cannot believe the sharp detail I can get with it in low light; also the sheer speed in good light.

I got a kookaburra in mid-launch from our tree out the back (from about 4m away) and it is absolutely perfectly frozen with every feather crisply rendered. Will post the shot when I get around to it.

Colour that this lens gives is amazing too.

I think my 50/1.4 is going to spend much more lonely time in the bag than before....

19. Good luck with your new lens Bernard. We are looking forward to seeing some of the photo's
    you take with it!