Opinions on 12" Goerz Dagor

john_smith83

Depends on the condition of the glass and the shutter. If the glass is pretty good and the shutter is working properly it is a very good price for a very great lens. If the glass looks like someones taken a brillo pad to it, looks like its suffered impact damage or the shutter is an old Ilex General or looks like it was mounted by a shade tree lens mechanic, I'd suggest passing on it. FWIW I wouldn't let a few cleaning marks or a cla put me off though. My opinion YMMV.

This morning's thought---you said the Dagor has C.P.Goerz New York on the dial, which makes me suspect it is in a dial set compur. IMHO,these a very usable shutters(the Genreal was a crummy look-alike copy of the dialset) if this is the case (and the glass is in decent shape) 250 bucks would make it a steal.

Thanks for the response John. I don't have the lens in hand (when it came to the local shop it didn't have a retaining ring so my dealer is milling one for me)but I beleave it is in a compur shutter and to the unaided eye the glass looked good. I did poke around on the web and found info on 12" Goerz Dagors but they seemed to not quite be what I was looking at.Thanks again.