Opinion of 25-50/4 AIS on D300?

john_hinkey

<p>I've purchased a good condition 25-50/4 for use on my D300 for landscape images. I've done some basic image testing with it and compared it's sharpness characteristics with some of my other lenses and have not been all that impressed - especially at the 50mm end. <br>

see: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1030&thread=33716662&message=latest<br>

I'm also not sure how to test it's other IQ qualities that Bjorn Rorslett has noted in his lens reviews. Before I sell or trade it in on something else, does anyone else have any additional opinions on this lens? <br>

Bjorn - if you read this post - what are your opinions on this lens with current CMOS DX image sensors?<br>

It may just be that I have a bum copy and need to either get it adjusted or try another one.<br>

Thanks - John</p>

<p>In reviewing Bjorn's review in the D2X portion he suggests that other lenses may be sharper but the 25-50 renders an image more leasing to his photographic inner eye. His review also suggests f5.6 and smaller to f16 results in the sharpest images.</p>

<p>I'm sure I don't have anything close to Bjorn's photographic inner eye, but I think I'll find a bit of time to take some images at 50mm with the 25-50 and some of my other lenses at 50mm and compare the image rendering - it may be that I'm hung up on sharpness and need to appreciate something else about this lens.<br>

- John</p>

<p>I have used this lens with a D200. If sharpness is the main quality you are looking for there are better alternatives, the old MF 28-50mm f3,5 particularly comes to mind.<br>

But images with this lens do have a somewhat hard to define pleasing quality. The focal range by itself (37-75mm on DX) is maybe more interesting with a FX camera.<br>

My 5 cents<br>

Karl</p>

<p>I have the "similar" lens (AF-D 24-50/3.3-4.5). I never used it with DX body because the F.L. 36-75mm was not convenient for my needs. On FX body I use it when I want to travel light. It has some problems but the new 24-70/2.8 Nikkor has some problems too.</p>