opinion needed for PF Rfi 5.0 vs Eli EL 69" Rotalux Octa

<p>I looked at your website and you have nice stuff so I assume you know what your doing so why the question? Why can't you produce the images with what you got? If you simply want bigger size then buy it? Why do you ask as if you are just starting out and know nothing? If prices you want then shop around at your pro photography shops for the best price. Duh?</p>

<p>I own the both Profoto RFi 3' and 5' octas, but do not own any of the Elinchrom octas. Here's some of my observations:</p>

<p>Profoto RFi 5' octa:</p>

<p>• Least-expensive 5' octa of all branded softboxes at only $359 USD.<br /> • "Lipped," recessed-front permits feathering, and also has a Velcro lining to accept fabric eggcrates (softgrids). Note that the Photoflex 5' octa softgrid fits the 5' Profoto RFi octa <em>perfectly</em>. The Photoflex grid is both tighter (40°), and much less expensive than the Profoto-branded grid. <em>However</em>, note that the Photoflex 3' softgrid does <em>not</em> fit the Profoto 3' RFi (the Photoflex grid is a few inches too small).<br /> • Standard softbox design with metal shafts and 7mm pins (i.e., PITA).<br /> • High-quality "canvas-like" construction is tough, but heavy.</p>

<p>Elinchrom 69" Rotalux octa:</p>

<p>• Also reasonably priced at $409 USD.<br /> • Unique Rotalux umbrella-like assembly makes set-up/tear-down faster and easier.<br /> • Flush-front design.<br /> • Does not accept softgrid without accessory skirt (if available).</p>

<p>I also considered the Photoflex 5' octa, but it was more expensive than the Profoto RFi 5' octa, and appears to have a shallower design than either the Rotalux or Profoto products. If not interested in using softgrids, I would definitely opt for the Elinchrom over the Profoto, primarily for its rapid set-up and superior ease-of-use. Bending steel rods and inserting pins under high tension into speedrings is not my idea of fun.</p>

<p>As an aside, I would recommend you avoid the 4' x 6' Profoto RFi softboxes--they're far too heavy, and the product bends its rods under its own weight after only a few hours of use. For large rectangular softboxes, I prefer the Photoflex 54" x 70" extra-large LiteDomes (another bargain at only $269 USD). They're made of lightweight Nylon, and are considerably lighter than the Profoto 4' x 6' softboxes. Also, the now-discontinued Calumet 54" x 72" softgrid fits the Photoflex extra-large LiteDome just fine (albeit, with some amount of droop due to the sheer size), and, again, is both tighter (40°), and quite bit cheaper than the Profoto-branded grids.</p>

<p>[Note: Photoflex previously described its extra-large LiteDome dimension as <em>54" x <strong>72</strong>"</em> but had recently changed the product's specifications in catalog listings to <em>54" x <strong>70</strong>"</em> to better reflect the product's <em>actual</em> dimensions. A call to Photoflex confirmed that the product itself remains <em>unchanged</em>--its original dimensions remain the same--the only changes made were to its <em>published specifications</em>.]</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Note that the Photoflex 5' octa softgrid fits the 5' Profoto RFi octa <em>perfectly</em>.</p>

<p>Also, the now-discontinued Calumet</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ralph thanks for mentioning that. I currently own and have been shooting with for many years the Photoflex 5' Octa which is excellent and priced the same as the Profoto and Elinchrom octas. And now with the new speedring adapters available for Bowens (Chimera/Profoto RFI/ Elinchrom) I was thinking of trying out Profoto RFI light modifiers (stripboxes/octaboxes/softboxes).</p>

<p>Any experience with the Profoto RFI vs Chimera stripboxes? I am curious if there is much difference. Have you tried out the Chimera 5' OctaPlus light banks?</p>

<p>http://www.chimeralighting.com/Products/Film-Video-Lightbanks/OctaPlus-Lightbanks</p>

<p>Yep Calumet after 75 years in the photographic business as of last month in March 2014 is no more. Poof! They just closed shop one day and that was it. That was my favorite studio lighting rental place for hard to find light modifiers.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Any other recommendation in that price range would be appreciated it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Check out the Chimera Octa 57 (all though above the price ranges of the other three 5' Octa brands Profoto RFI/Photoflex/Elinchrom) in the link above its a 5' Octa and can be converted to a larger 7' option !</p>

<p>Rob said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Ralph thanks for mentioning that . . . And now with the new speedring adapters available for Bowens (Chimera/Profoto RFI/ Elinchrom) I was thinking of trying out Profoto RFI light modifiers (stripboxes/octaboxes/softboxes) . . . Any experience with the Profoto RFI vs Chimera stripboxes?</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>No problem, Rob. I only own Profoto RFi and Photoflex softboxes, so I can't comment on Profoto RFi vs. Chimera strips (if I never needed to use a softgrid, I would be all-Elinchrom Rotalux for their faster set-up). My only experience with Chimera softboxes is with the ones designed for hotlights which we used to use where I work (we're almost exclusively KinoFlo/LitePanels now). Ellis Vener is a huge proponent of Chimera's Super Pro Plus product line (and, I'm sure for good reason), but I've never used them myself (plus, they're a little too rich for my blood).</p>

<p>I did buy the Profoto RFi 1' x 6' striplight ($325), specifically for horizontal glamour-type shots, but unfortunately haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I chose the Profoto strip simply because it was one of the longest strips I could find. Fortunately, the Profoto-branded softgrid for it was only $159. Again, for studio shooting, the Profoto stuff is great, but for location shooting, they're on the heavy side, and I much prefer to hump lighter-weight Nylon softboxes when on location instead. Again, for large rectangular softboxes in particular, I like the Photoflex' 54" x 70" LiteDome, mainly because it's so light (and, inexpensive!). That said, for both speed and convenience, Elinchrom's Rotalux quick set-up design can't be beat. Here's a brief overview of my observations:</p>

<p>Profoto RFi:</p>

<p>• Excellent array of sizes/shapes.<br /> • Recessed-fronts accept softgrids.<br /> • High-quality, canvas-like material.<br /> • Most sizes reasonably priced.<br /> • Kinda heavy (4' x 6' is so heavy, it bends its own pins).<br /> • No innovative features (e.g., Rotalux' "umbrella" design).</p>

<p>Photoflex:</p>

<p>• Reasonably priced.<br /> • Lightweight Nylon construction.<br /> • Recessed-fronts accept softgrids.<br /> • Incomplete array of sizes/shapes.</p>

<p>Elinchrom Rotalux:</p>

<p>• Unique Rotalux design speeds set-up/tear-down making them the best location modifier, hands-down.<br /> • Larger softboxes are very expensive.<br /> • Flush-front design doesn't accept fabric eggcrates without an accessory skirt.</p>

<p>Strip softboxes Profoto vs Chimera both create the same effect the only difference is the chimera is wider so the catch lights will not be as narrow as the profoto. Other than that they both are made of good quality. I have all three of the Profoto strips but I find the 1x6 least efficient in regards to even light over the 6feet. I prefer to use the 1x4 and I will use two one on top of the other if I need to light a long edge. 1x4 is the best in my opinion.<br>

I have the profoto octa 3ft as well as the 5ft and I use them all. When I need the softest light I go for largest light source. You currently own the smaller versions of the profoto octa and the Rotalux so you should already know what the difference if between the two. Going larger only makes the light softer so its a matter a personal choice between the two.</p>

<p>Michael said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>I have all three of the Profoto strips but I find the 1x6 least efficient in regards to even light over the 6feet. I prefer to use the 1x4 and I will use two one on top of the other if I need to light a long edge. 1x4 is the best in my opinion.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yeah, I thought about that only <em>after</em> I bought the 1' x 6' Profoto strip (and, only <em>after</em> the 30-day return period had expired). I think two shorter strips would've been better. At the time, Calumet had several strips on sale--plus, they <em>included</em> the 40° softgrids, all at <em>super-</em>discounted prices (little did I know these "sales" were forbearers of their impending closure). But, I hesitated, and when I went to back to try and buy them, they had already disappeared from their catalog.<br /> <br /> Ideally, I'd like a 1' x 3' strip for an under-lens fill when shooting head-and-shoulders portraits, and two, 1' x 4' strips for my glamour stuff to create an "8-foot strip," either for an under-lens fill, or a top-mounted backlight (both, for horizontally-posed models). The primary key would come from my 54" x 70" Photoflex (or, if I don't care about spill, one of my 7' Westcott umbrellas). Of course, I'd also like to replace all of my super-old Photoflex rectangular softboxes (at nearly 20 years old, they're getting quite warm in color temperature) with new Profoto RFi 2' x 3' and 3' x 4' softboxes as well (as I said, Profoto RFis come in all the "right" sizes and shapes, at least for me).<br /> <br />But, while one or two Profoto RFi products are actually priced lower than their Photoflex equivalents, several are as much as twice the Photoflex price. I'll probably end up opting for the Photoflex equivalents instead (plus, they're lighter). At least the Photoflex-branded softgrids are reasonably priced, and are guaranteed a perfect fit to Photoflex' rather odd-sized assortment of softboxes.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>...lighter-weight Nylon softboxes when on location instead.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thanks Ralph and Michael for lots of info on Elinchrom/Photoflex/Profoto RFI light modifiers. I use mainly Photoflex both the 5' and 7' Octos as I have done a lot of a location shoots and the Photoflex is light and easy to set up. Photoflex works well for studio use but it is especially nice on location because its so light.<br /> So out of the three Profoto RFI, Chimera or Elinchrom which one will I go with? They are all great! but I have been leaning toward Chimera. At this point its just personal preference so I just have to see which is the best one for the job.</p>

<p>One question, the Photoflex Octo I use has both gold/silver interiors. Do the other Octas have gold or soft gold interiors? I only see silver/white on the other Octas.</p>

<p>I believe Photoflex is the only major brand which offers removable gold/silver interior panels in their softbox products. I actually prefer silver interiors for both their higher efficiency and cooler color temperatures. All of my Photoflex softboxes are LiteDomes (white interiors), and measurably warm-up the color temperature of their resulting light output. All of my Profoto RFi softboxes have silver interiors, and stay much truer to the strobe's native color temperature.</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>Hi,<br>

I have the opportunity to get the 5" for $235 and 69" for $299 USED. I want to use them for for full lengths and fill. <br>

Reasons I should go with 5":<br>

i have RFI speedrings, grids are cheaper, item is cheaper. i have the 3" octa and prefer the 39" rotalux octa for light quality.<br>

reasons for 69":<br>

love the easier setup, love my 39" rotalux deep octa, slightly bigger..</p>

<p>Sharokin, all of the recommendations so far are good ones. </p>

<p>I'd offer an alternative notion to consider that offers a different approach to fashion and portrait work with a large round/octa light source.</p>

<p>A deep parabolic umbrella with an optional diffusion sock.</p>

<p>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1013344-REG/profoto_100980_deep_white_umbrella_extra.html</p>

<p>I like the "shoot into" variation from a typical softbox … and the ability to vary the head placement into the umbrella to control the spread because of the depth compared to other large shallower umbrellas. Same concept as the $10,000 Parabolics in fashion studios but not as deep or refined. Very easy to transport and set-up/tear-down.</p>

<p>Obviously, not a choice if you are want a soft grid, but mods this big aren't often used with grids in my experience … (depending on circumstances). </p>

<p>I have used the one above in a studio, and loved the results. I personally own two 7' Westcott Parabolics @ $99 ea. and the diffuser socks @ $29 ea.</p>

<p>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/755552-REG/Westcott_4634_7_Parabolic_Umbrella_White_Black.html</p>

<p>I've been using the above for location lighting with a pair of Profoto B1s with domes … not quite the same level of control as the Profoto deeper one, but pretty darned good.</p>

<p>Just a thought. </p>

<p>- Marc</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Ralph: Can you explain this more, ""Lipped," recessed-front permits feathering' on Profoto modifier compared to 69" octa? I have the 69" octa as well as profoto 3" octa and wondering about the difference in feathering with rfi. <br>

also, what is difference in feathering with front diffuser off? i tried this the other day and was wondering about undiffused,stray light passing through the edges of the inner diffuser on the 39" elin deep octa.<br>

how much do you feather off the persons face. i had 39" about a foot away from subjects face, diffuser off, and edge of octa pointed at persons ear. </p>

• 1 year later...

I have both the Profoto 5' and the Elionchrom 74" and I have found that I absolutely love the Elinchrom. So I wrote a blog post comparing all of the boxes I own and why.

"If you were expecting a side-by-side head-to-head comparison of these modifiers, this review is not for you. Over the course of 10 or so years I have owned 6 different octaboxes made by Profoto, Elinchrom and Photoflex. I will discuss below why I changed horses midstream to arrive at where I am today and how I felt about using each modifier.

Elinchrom vs Profoto: Why I Own Four Octaboxes"

<p>I'm looking to purchase a fairly large Octa shaped softbox for portrait and fashion use. Currently have the Eli 27.5 Rotalux deep Octa and Profoto RFi 3.0.<br />Any other recommendation in that price range would be appreciated it.<br /><br />Thanks!</p>

• 1 month later...

I have the Profoto 3 foot RFI, the 39" elinchrom octa, and the 69" octa. I don't get to use the 69" as much as I would like to for location work due to space but had the chance last week to do some outdoor group and individual portaits and the 69" was spectacular. I had a group of 6-9 young people and really liked the crisp/soft light with the front diffuser off? I was using Profoto B1 with dome and I imagine the light would maybe be better spread over 69" with older Profoto bulb heads. Still very amazing light. Much prefer the 39" elinchrom over the Profoto 3".

Also, I HATE the Profoto RFI rod system compared to Elinchrom speedring. I leave the speedrings on the Elinchrom octas and just snap the thing together quickly. With Profoto, the loose rods often come off the ends of the softbox and I have to remove the baffle to push the rod back in place. I might gaffer tape the rods into the fabric so they don't come off easily. I have the 1x3 foot RFI and have issue with that too.