Opening CR2 files from 5D Mk II in CS4 and/or Lightroom 2

papasan

<p>Hi everyone, i searched this forum's archive and found similar problems but related to CS3 or older versions of PS vs 5D Mk II.</p>

<p>I'm experiencing problems with the newest version of CS4 opening RAW (CR2) files from my 5D Mk II in ACR. (no problem with CR2 Files from my 30D) I also have problems exporting files taken with my new 5D Mk II from Lightroom 2 to open in CS4 either as PSD files or CR2 Files (through ACR in the later case). I get the message this file is not supported or something to that effect. I have had to convert my CR2 files in Lightroom to DNG format in order to open them in ACR and CS4.</p>

<p>Is this a driver problem? do i need to download new software from Canon? or from Adobe? <br /> thanks for your help</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Youl need to download the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw from the Adobe website. Version 5.6 is the most recent update version, but I believe it was the update version just previous to 5.6 that added the 5D Mk II.</p>

<p>The best way to do it is go to Help>Updates in CS4 and let it install automatically.</p>

<p>This is the easiest way to update (the same works for Lightroom):<br>

1. Start Photoshop and open any file. (You need to open a file to activate the Help command).<br>

2. Click Help, then click Updates.<br>

3. Once the Adobe updater starts, close down Photoshop since the updater can't work on a program that's open.<br>

4. Re-start Photoshop and you're all set with the lastest updates.</p>

<p>This is the easiest way to update (the same works for Lightroom):<br>

1. Start Photoshop and open any file. (You need to open a file to activate the Help command).<br>

2. Click Help, then click Updates.<br>

3. Once the Adobe updater starts, close down Photoshop since the updater can't work on a program that's open.<br>

4. Re-start Photoshop and you're all set with the lastest updates.</p>

<p>Thanks Steven and William, i've downloaded and installed the latest updates for CS4 and Lightroom 2 including ACR 5.6, and this seem to have solved part of my problem in both LR and CS4 except that when i open Bridge i still cannot see the preview of my CR2 files (5D Mk II), i only see the little CR2 Icon for each photo. I checked for updates from Bridge but it tells me that no update is available at this time (since i assume it was all downloaded when i updated CS4). Any idea anyone? i know i can access my files from LR but sometimes i prefer working directly from CS4 and open files from Bridge to ACR (which somehow i find easier to work with than LR).</p>

Why not use the Canon RAW software? I assume it's still Digital Photo Professional for the Mark II. In my experience with the original 5D, it seems to render a little better color with more ease than Adobe. After converting to Tiff, if need be, you can still make final adjustments in photoshop.